Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic Monopole

Status
Not open for further replies.

desigirl36rocks

Hi dear friends!!! i am just new to this forum and wanted to know how can magnetic monopoles generated using electronic circuits? I also wanted to know about power switching in dc circuits.

Hi dear friends!!! i am just new to this forum and wanted to know how can magnetic monopoles generated using electronic circuits? I also wanted to know about power switching in dc circuits.

Maxwell would not be happy but if you figure it out you'll get a nobel prize.

You might think that taking two magnets and gluing their south ends together while it's in a vise would do it... but that's not the way conventional magnets work. There must be a loop of north-south flux or there's no net field. Gluing two dipoles together doesn't make a monopole... sad, because yeah it'd be super-neat to float a ball of "north" magnets over a bed of "north" magnets. People tried that last century, it didn't ever work, and mathematical analysis later proved it was impossible regardless of design.

I heard a few months ago scientists experimentally created a magnetic monopole. Although it wasn't a true monopole. It was just a regular magnet with L>>>>>>>>D

Last edited:
Length much much greater then Diameter or width.

Ahhhh, thanks. That's more or less what the article that smanches linked to talked about. The monopole was at the end of the looooooong length of dipoles. That and bringing down the material to 2 K. Don't really understand it but it would be interesting to see the math behind it.

In otherwords whatever it was was really cool, but not the magical magnetic monopoles that will allow anti gravity or whatever else they're supposed to be capable of =) It's kind of like science can now make anti-matter, verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly.

Magnetic monopoles would some day boost air transport. someday you would be able to fly in air in a specially designed car!!! Not a joke!! anti gravity phenomenon??? its just the same.

Last edited:
Yes, but the 'monopoles' created are not in fact true monopoles as far as I can tell, they're just extremely strange magnetic structures. There's not a lot of information on the actual physics going on, just some vagaries about magnetic spaghetti.

Yes, but the 'monopoles' created are not in fact true monopoles as far as I can tell, they're just extremely strange magnetic structures. There's not a lot of information on the actual physics going on, just some vagaries about magnetic spaghetti.

Agreed. That's why I said it would be interesting to see the math behind it. At any rate, I think magnetic monopoles and anti-gravity phenomena are still a few years off.

So why would having a single ended magnet cause gravity to do something or not do something?:confused:

Anti-gravity is a general term (in these types of contexts) to mean anything that will lift itself off the ground. It doesn't mean it has anything to do with gravity.

I haven't heard of anything that forbids a monopole from existing, and a molecule has been discovered that might be one. It is one of those items that could yet be discovered in a bare form.

Hunting the mysterious monopole - physics-math - 06 May 2009 - New Scientist

Someone else was kind enough to link this article on another forum.

Applications will come later, but one that jumps out is a collimated magnetic field, something like the classic Star Trek tractor beam.

Last edited:
I haven't heard of anything that forbids a monopole from existing

divB.PNG

That pretty much says it right there. If this turned out to be wrong the equation could be modified to account for the existence of monoples and it wouldn't be the first time we had to rethink our understanding of physics but so far, nill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back