Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic Audio Tape Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimper129

I need a simple circuit for audio magnetic tape recording.
I make some simple amplifire circuit and attach the the recording head wiht it
but it dosent work.

Pre WWII they just applied audio to the heads and the sound was bad.
Post WWII they add 30-150khz tone to the audio then to the heads. (The frequency depends on tape speed and width.)

>Wikipedia----Tape Bias<

ronsimpson said:
Pre WWII they just applied audio to the heads and the sound was bad.
Post WWII they add 30-150khz tone to the audio then to the heads. (The frequency depends on tape speed and width.)

I don't know about that kind of date, I'm pretty sure AC bias was used pre-WWII? - the Germans were even developing helical scanning - because after the war the Americans 'stole' the technology and Ampex (with backing from Bing Crosby!) developed high quality tape machines, which led to VCR's!.

Nigel You are good.
Only the Germans were using AC bias pre-WWII. The Americans stole that. The Russians and Americans stole the Rocket Engineers and the race was on!

Dimper129: go to Wikipedia and lookup Tape Bias!

The Soviets and Americans may have "stolen" a few select scientists (many of them were stolen from the Soviets who had spirited them away and vice versa), but most were more than happy to "get out of Dodge" as long as they could take their families. Germany, especially Berlin, was pretty well shredded during the end of WWII and life there wasn't very desirable.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back