Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVProfessor

I am trying to learn the ancient art of magnetic amplifiers. Not power supplies but real DC operational totally magnetic amplifiers.

I saw a schematic of a magnetic amplifier once at the University of New Orleans Physics Lab. It was used to amplify the millivolt output of our laboratory gaussmeter up to a volt or so to control the current in the big magnet. It's gain was set by a feedback resistor just like a real op-amp. The circuit was powered by an audio frequency AC source. There were at least two inductors and at least four windings. I cannot understand how the two gain stages were connected or how the output was rectified to DC without phase sensitive detector diodes. Maybe it was a chopper but the frequency, I think, was about 2KHz. I saw no semiconductor devices at all in the schematic, only transformers and resistors and few capacitors. The DC gain was around 1000.

I have some tape wound toroids waiting to be wound with wire, to make a home made two stage amplifier if I can get some good ideas.
The important principle here is that saturation will reduce the inductance of a winding on a piece of iron. And it is easy to saturate a big piece of iron with a low voltage DC using plenty of turns..
I built a DC ammeter that used two highly saturable toroids driven by AC, a phase sensitive detector and a feedback winding. All that stuff was easy compared to the magnetic amplifier mystery.

If you can find me someone who knows about this subject, I would be very grateful.

There's a lot of good information here. John

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

It is, of course, oriented to modern use is power supplies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back