Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magic Eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord loh.

I came across a device called magic eye while we were being taught AC bridges. The teacher told that it was an aperture that allowed light to pass when the bridge was in unbalanced condition.

Making a search on google returned irrelvent results.

Can anyone post me a picture of a magic eye. and tell me how it works.

Can it also detect phase unbalance apart from the z1.z4=z3.z4?(hope I am not asking something silly? :oops: )

Please do tell me.

Thank You.

Old radios used to use a magic eye (that's what we called it) as a signal strength indicator. Several pieces of old test gear that I had used the "eye" as an indicator for peak or null. That might be what your professor meant. If that is the case I am sure that some older vacuum tube/valve manuals would adress it. I know it's in my old (1960's) ham radio handbooks.

IIRC, we used a magic eye in capacitor testers, as well... wow, haven't seen one in better than 20 years...

I believe I have a few, still good.
But Not interested in selling them.

Typically they are like 8 pin Octal base Radio tube with a Green display on the top.

Gary

If you put "magic eye" into google, you have to go several pages before finding anything relevant.
I eventually found this:

http://hhscott.com/cc/magic_eyes.htm

which gives a good overview of the later type of magic eye and also a link to the older circular type.

The newer "bar" type were often used in tape recorders in the 1960s as a recording level indicator.

JimB

These are the ones I remember from back in high school, round ones that would glow a in an increasing area of the circle. They were on test equipment, I think RF generators if I remember correctly.

**broken link removed**

There is the theory behind them in the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back