Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Made redundant - so going it alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim

Unfortunately the company I work for has been put into administration by the owners, so I find myself joining the masses, along with 80 work mates:mad:

then I looked at my CV and it said transformer designer. I looked on the back, and it was just those two words. eek. :( sure there is loads of other stuff I can do, but not with qualifications to back it up. self taught Excel VAB programming, self taught Autocad draftsman, self taught this, that and the other.......

so I moped about for a couple of days, then realized a lot of people would be needing to buy their transformers elsewhere, and a lot of other companies would like some of that business.

That means I have a short commute to the back bedroom, the hours are good, and my boss is a really great guy:D I can also spend more time messing about on forums.

so any transformer related questions, ask away.

I do not supply any parts, and am not working for any manufacturers, so my advice would be unbiased.

envelopes stuffed with fivers are accepted ;)

every cloud has a silver lining, or so I hope.

Good luck.

I decided to work for myself a good few years ago when my girlfriend (now wife) moved up from Cornwall with her son and she went back to work while I stayed at home and looked after him. While he's at school I run my own small electronics business and I've got as much work as I can handle but the pay isn't great.

It keeps us in the luxuries though - the other halfs wage just about pays the bills while any pennies I make goes into the emergency savings fund lol.

What sort of home business do you have Picbits? I tried this a few years back and failed miserably, I could not get a single customer. My attempt at it is was building testers for production boards. I thought I could target small production firms, but I just could not drum up any business.

What sort of home business do you have Picbits? I tried this a few years back and failed miserably, I could not get a single customer. My attempt at it is was building testers for production boards. I thought I could target small production firms, but I just could not drum up any business.

I design and build datalogging and instrumentation for vehicles. Main market is the "boy racers" who seem to have a fair amount of excess income ;)

My biggest selling product at the moment is a pulse converter which takes incoming speed or tachometer pulses, samples them and spits them back out again at a digitally programmable ratio.

Currently working on a modular digital dashboard as well as some other bits and bobs.

I also subcontract to a few local companies who I design process control systems for. Small projects but keeps the pennies coming in.

Oh and while I'm sitting in my little sweat shop etching, drilling and soldering away, I hang on to the hope that one day I'll have enough pennies in the bank to move to San Clemente on my retirement :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back