Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Luxeon Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spadez

Hi,

Im making a light at home, but I have a problem with it. The luxeon star being used to supply the light creates a large bright spot on the top lens in the center, and leaves the rest of the lens mcuh darker. I now need to make a lens to sit over the luxeon star which will defract the light so it lights up the top lens evenly.

Attached is a picture of the light that I made it paint to explain myself better. Im really after the shape of lens that would be required to bend it away from the center (which is where the bright spot is).

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: lightjc7.png

Regards,

James

Then why not attach your circuit here to your reply, instead of over at ImageCrap.

The LED has a single point of light. The center of the lens is closest to it so is brighter than the edges of the lens which are farther away and so are dimmer.
Use more LEDs.

I cant use more LEDS and I cant change the LED I am using. I am after designing a lens to distrube the light.

Use the attachments feature of this forum.

It sounds like you need a diffuser, a semi-transparent plastic cup or bowl will do.

Attachments

• lightjc7.png
    lightjc7.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Ive tried this, unfortunatly it just illuminates the bowl, and still leaves a pretty solid birhgt spot in the center of the lens. :s

Ok, what would be the best approach, minimizing the light loss.

What about if I used strips of shiny material (nearly polished stainless or aluminum, or metallized plastic, etc.) to reflect light from the center out to the sides?

Also apprently my luxeon has a beam of 140 degrees, but i guess its so close to the lens that I still makes a substainal bright spot.

Its for a lighting project, Ive been given the luxeon and I need to make a light, and still maintain a high output. My light is a modular light for a bar / club.

I only have one. Im just after how to diffuse the light using my single luxeon in the frame posted.

Don't they make some diffuser lenses for the luxeon stars? besthongkong.com has some for their high power leds.

**broken link removed**

Scroll tward the bottom of the page. Is there enough room for somthing like that?

Last edited:
what color is the ceiling? If it is a dark bar with a lirght ceiling, a small amount of Rebel stars (normal luxeons suck) aimed at the ceiling would make for wonderful mood lighting.

When I do that with 145Lm you can read by it. It is interesting to note that blue LEDs are much better in scotopic vision (dark adjusted) than anything else. In full scotopic vision, a blue rebel and get to a 900Lm/W effective efficiency.

Dan

the Luxeon III Star (3W) and the Luxeon V (5W) have an almost linear radiation pattern of 150degrees, which is 100% along the optical centerline and decreases to 80% 75degrees left and right of it.

To distinguish between the wide band of decreasing brightness it takes measuring devices much more sensitive than a human eye.

If you have a bright spot along the optical centerline of your Luxeon it is definitely NOT a Luxeon.

Boncuk

Last edited:
The screen on top lights up from the LED. The screen lights brighter when the LED is closer, directly below.
The screen lights dimmer at the sides where the LED is farther away and its light is spread over a larger area.

I think even an incandescent light bulb or a compact fluorescent light bulb would produce the same problem.

The screen on top lights up from the LED. The screen lights brighter when the LED is closer, directly below.
The screen lights dimmer at the sides where the LED is farther away and its light is spread over a larger area.

I think even an incandescent light bulb or a compact fluorescent light bulb would produce the same problem.
it makes a big difference what you are trying to do. The normal lamps throw light everywhere. Any light bouncing off a reflector loses 30-50% of it's intensity. Any light that does not go where you want it is an outright loss.

In addition to that, recent sudies have shown that blue heavy light sources allowi the use of lower intensities with reduced eye strain. Of course the CRI is not high, but particularly for industry and office it means lower utility bills.

Other studies have found blue light to be dangerous.
**broken link removed**

The ideal wavelength for scotopic vision is 498nm which is cyan. You can get 505nm cyan LEDs which is near enough the ideal wavelength.

**broken link removed**
Rod cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back