Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lump on USB cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord loh.

I have noticed that some USB cables have got a lump near the connector while some do not.

What is the lump shaped device for? And what is inside it ?

Also I noticed that the cables with good devices had the lump while the ones whith low end devices did not have them.

My cannon camera had them while my PDA and the web cam did not.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Also while searching for the above pic I found one site write...NOT FOR MAC... I thought the USB specifications were universal.

lord loh. said:
I have noticed that some USB cables have got a lump near the connector while some do not.

What is the lump shaped device for? And what is inside it ?

It depends on the exact lead?, some have a processor inside the lead to convert the data in some way?, or it may just be a ferrite core, to help prevent RFI?. Often monitor leads have a ferrite core incorporated in them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back