Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrick Jardine

Alright, my question is pretty simple to ask but perhaps rather difficult to solve.

I am modelling in LTspice a channel of previous design and analysing various noise figure across the channel.
Currently I am using the stock resistors supplied in LTspice. I was wondering if there is a way to use a thin film resistor model for more accurate simulation before I start modding the real world circuit and use real world money.

Has anyone had any luck changing the resistor model or know of any models that may have been designed.\

Thank you for your time.
Garrick

real world money
LOL
more accurate simulation
spice is only as good as the data. The transistor models are not complete.

On big power resistors I have add the nH of lead inductance. I was working on 100mhz power amplifiers where lead inductance is a factor. (50 watt resistors)
For RF amp application, I have added the nF capacitance to the ground plane. (resistors)
For critical capacitors I add the internal resistance and inductance. (power capacitors at high current and frequency)

These things make the circuit very complicated and the sim-time gets very long.

What are you working on? For most applications I do not do all this work.

Generally a thin film resistor is near perfect as far as noise is concerned, so it would just be the theoretical thermal (Johnson) noise of a resistor, which I think is already modeled in LTspice (but I'm not sure).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back