Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTSpice .asc to component conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronv

Most Helpful Member
I'm trying to help someone build an EDM machine. I am simulating it in sections since it is getting pretty big. But I would eventually like to simulate the whole thing. It seems like I remember there is a way to "roll up" a schematic into a component. If there is it would be ideal because I could make each section a component. There are not to many inputs and outputs, just more "stuff" that can easily be done on one page of spice. If there is a way I could do it with about 5 sections of components.
Can anyone walk me through it?

When viewing a schematic, explore the Hierarchy menus.

You can design a "leaf" schematic, put IO ports on it, let LTSpice automatically build a symbol with pins on it. The pin names on the instance match the port names. The symbol will have the same name at the schematic but will have a .asy extention in place of the .asc.

To instantiate the newly-created symbol in a higher-level schematic, click on the NAND gate icon. In the top dialog box, point to the subdirectory where the newly created symbol got put in lieu of ../lib/sym, and then you can place (even multiple) instance(s) of the new symbol.

hi Ron,
Its called a hierarchical model, this an example of AD623, IA to shows the method.

E

Attachments

• ron_demo1.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 315
just remember if you ground any element inside your "black box" it will connected to node 0 (ground) of the external circuit. This is a gotcha that can bite you if you are not careful.

just remember if you ground any element inside your "black box" it will connected to node 0 (ground) of the external circuit. This is a gotcha that can bite you if you are not careful.
I always make it a point not to use any ground symbols in subcircuits, and always propagate node 0 in from a higher level using an explicit pin

Perfect, since I have a power and logic ground.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back