Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LT SPICE transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
pc board layout using TO-3

here is my pc board design using the TO-3 package transistors
Will still install a heat sink as the board is only 1 oz (2 oz if the design fits my 2oz copper boards

Attachments

• critterridder2 pcb.PNG
    critterridder2 pcb.PNG
    52.3 KB · Views: 180
Havn't done any work using Mosfets but I understand they are superior over transistors.
Would two P channel and two N channel Mosfets work more efficiently than the four transistors in this amp??

Mosfets conduct so well that the speakers will get the entire supply voltage and the mosfets will get barely warm.

Attachments

• H-bridge-Mosfets.PNG
    H-bridge-Mosfets.PNG
    11.2 KB · Views: 278
Havn't done any work using Mosfets but I understand they are superior over transistors.
Would two P channel and two N channel Mosfets work more efficiently than the four transistors in this amp??

They aren't 'superior', they have some advantages, and some disadvantages - as shown by the fact that they are still VERY much a minority.

So then the mosfets would be a better choice over the transistors being that the mosfets won't get warm??
schematic is pretty much the same maybe I will make changes? for a more efficient amp in that the mosfet amp won't generate any heat. HEAT is in a sense wasted energy.

MrDEB, everything generates some heat. If you can live with a square wave a fast Mosfet will generate very little, if and only if it's driven properly.

So then the mosfets would be a better choice over the transistors being that the mosfets won't get warm??
schematic is pretty much the same maybe I will make changes? for a more efficient amp in that the mosfet amp won't generate any heat. HEAT is in a sense wasted energy.

Heat, in this case (and most others) is ENTIRELY wasted energy.

Correctly designed systems, either MOSFET or bipolar, will minimise excess heat - but there's no 'magic' using MOSFET's - and certainly commercially MOSFET's have proven more expensive and less reliable in SMPSU's and LOPT stages, and they don't run any cooler.

This square-wave H-bridge circuit is not a linear amplifier. The Mosfets switch with much more efficiency than bipolar transistors.

Now boys if you two can't agree then I will have to send you both to your rooms!!

LOL
will look at both options. Using the Mosfets may not need a heat sink but thats a monor issue I think?
Will run the circuit using the 50 ohm resistors instead of the 33 ohm and see how much it gets hot!
If it is too hot (can't touch) then on to Mosfets.
And what is a SMPSU or LOPT??
inquiring mind wants to know

What do you mean Nigel, both SMPSUs and LOPTS both benefit from using Mosfets over bipolars, why would you say that?

What do you mean Nigel, both SMPSUs and LOPTS both benefit from using Mosfets over bipolars, why would you say that?

So why are they hardly ever used?, why d0on't they run cooler (because they don't), and why are they less reliable on the few sets which have used them (because they are less reliable).

In what devices Nigel? You obviously have specific devices you have in mind when you think of Mosfets in a switching power application which obviously don't speak for all power mosfets in a power switching situation. Mosfets are used extensively in switched mode power supplies for motors and for UPS supplies. You seem to be talking TV sets when that is not the only place where such devices are used. In the case of a piezoelectric driver where distortion isn't even considered in general as any harmonics created can't propagate because of attenuation mosfet drivers can be extremely efficient.

Last edited:
In what devices Nigel? You obviously have specific devices you have in mind when you think of Mosfets in a switching power application which obviously don't speak for all power mosfets in a power switching situation. Mosfets are used extensively in switched mode power supplies for motors and for UPS supplies. You seem to be talking TV sets when that is not the only place where such devices are used. In the case of a piezoelectric driver where distortion isn't even considered in general as any harmonics created can't propagate because of attenuation mosfet drivers can be extremely efficient.

Mostly domestic appllications, including TV's - where MOSFET's have become popular though is in LCD and Plasma sets.

My point is that there seems a small number of people who seem to think MOSFET good, bipolar bad, and this isn't the case. MOSFET's have there uses, but it's not a universal replacement, for many purposes bipolar are far more suitable, and much more reliable.

WHY no criss cross?

Hope I crossed ref the mosfets correctly but why are the outputs from the P channel not criss crossed like the transistor version?
And then in your schematic you show 10K base resistors for the 2n2222's
need to add??
link to selected mosfets.
I have NEVER worked with Mosfets
https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=FQP17P10virtualkey51210000virtualkey512-FQP17P10

https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=FQP33N10virtualkey51210000virtualkey512-FQP33N10
this version should run cooler?

Attachments

• mosfet amp.PNG
    mosfet amp.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 268
Those Mosfets might cost more than others because their max voltage is 100V. Mosfets rated at 30V might cost less.
The 2N2222 or any other little NPN transistor has a load of only 12mA in your circuit so it needs a base current of only 1.2mA. Then the base resistor can be 3.3k ohms.
The 1.2k resistor can be 10k or 33k.

Something like this?

And why are the outputs not cris crossed like the transistor version.
Will look at different Mosfets. I selected ones that were similar to the IRF6215 / IRF540 as in the schematic you posted.
QUESTION concerning base current of the 2n2222. Is not the load the same on both ( even though the 150 ohm (R11 is there)?

Attachments

• mosfet amp2.PNG
    mosfet amp2.PNG
    69.1 KB · Views: 194
I just noticed that your P-channel Mosfets are upside-down. The sources must be at the positive supply, not at the speaker.
The input of a Mosfet draws no current, but a signal must quickly charge its input capacitance for a moment. Therefore the 2N2222 or any other little NPN transistor has no load and its collector resistor can be much higher than 150 ohms and its base current can be much lower.

R9 and R11 can be 3.3k ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back