Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LQFP 64 to DIP cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

futz

Anyone know a source for LQFP 64 (and other surface mount sizes) to DIP adapter boards that's not outrageously expensive? I found epboard, but their prices are pretty wild ($53 for a LQFP 64 to DIP board).

Maybe I'll have to dig out my PC board making stuff and make my own...

I have used **broken link removed** for some stuff, like the red 28 pin ssop board, and it worked fine.

Here is a great deal on a **broken link removed** starter package. I believe it has a 64tqfp on there. High quality, with reverse side ground plane.

**broken link removed**is another option.

Futz i only found them costly also... my choice would be to make one myself.

But since i seen: **broken link removed**

I would love to get one :D

I assume by 'DIP' you just mean standard 0.1" spacing pins? or do you really want dual in-line package? Trouble with quad packages is..well, they're 4 sideed, so most adapters will have four groups of pins too...

**broken link removed**

Ebay shops have loads of adapters, I still use them because my DIY PCB technique doesn't do 0.5mm pitch too well..

Blueteeth

You can make a double pcb adapter to change from SMD to .1" spacing (4 side) then another from 4 sided to DIL. Would be kind of long but heh if you need it you need it.

Sockets - SMD Adapters

It's not DIL, but it's 0.1". $0.90.
As AtomSoft basically said, you could probably protoboard it to DIL -- if you're prepared to lay down 56+ jumpers yourself...

Otherwise, you might be able to design some yourself through someplace like BatchPCB, but you're probably looking at 4 for $40-45 or so.

-e

ericwertz said:
It's not DIL, but it's 0.1". $0.90.
Wow! Futurlec's pinout boards are super cheap! But unfortunately, as you say, they're not DIL. I might order some anyway. I want to tinker with some SMT chips.

I saw this thread and ordered a TI **broken link removed** to play with. I'm still at the fumbling and blinking a LED stage with it, but after this next Digikey order (.050 headers for cable building, and other toys) I'll get it doing something real.

The **broken link removed** are nice 16-bit CPUs, but not available in DIP at all.

Last edited:
If you have a laminator and a laser printer you can buy a pack
of paper and green foil from Pulsar for about $25 (+etchant)
and make as many as you need.

Anyone who can figure out how to solder a 64 pin QFP can make
a small board. With less then 100 holes it is possible to drill
them with a pin vise. As you move more parts to the etched board
the number of external pins drop.

When you solder the .1 header pins, insert the long end of the pins
into a old BB while soldering. This will help ensure alignment between
rows/connectors.

The attachment shows two boards with .1 header pins for BB use. The
one attached to the LCD is a .05 to .1 inch adapter. The other has a
18F2321 SOIC. The ports are brought out to the edge with consecutive
pin numbering. It functions as connected. The lower 4 bits of portc
provide the control bits for the LCD and all of porta provide the data bits
(8 bit interface). But the data bits on porta need to be reversed.

This board is on the ugly side as I was using it to learn hot air soldering and
it has been headed and reheated/overheated more then once.

3v0

Not too sure but I think the inexpensive header pins from futurlec use
a somewhat low melting point plastic and are more apt to become
unaligned during soldering.

Sockets - SMD Adapters

Otherwise, you might be able to design some yourself through someplace like BatchPCB, but you're probably looking at 4 for $40-45 or so.

-e

Attachments

• c18.JPG
    c18.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,928
If you have a laminator and a laser printer you can buy a pack of paper and green foil from Pulsar for about $25 (+etchant)
and make as many as you need.
Hi 3v0. I'm equipped to do photofab boards. I've been meaning to get doing it again for a while anyway. I print the artwork with my laser printer. Makes beautiful, precise boards.

Just need to buy a collet for my Dremel and some bits. I haven't made any boards in a few years. I may find that my presensitized boards are too old. May end up ordering more stuff.

Anyone who can figure out how to solder a 64 pin QFP can make
a small board. With less then 100 holes it is possible to drill
them with a pin vise. As you move more parts to the etched board
the number of external pins drop.
Ya, I should have no problem with it. Just have to stop being lazy and do it.

Not too sure but I think the inexpensive header pins from futurlec use
a somewhat low melting point plastic and are more apt to become
unaligned during soldering.
I've run into that a few times, and learned, as you say, to always plug something into those before soldering to keep them aligned.

Futz,

Frank at Pulsar puts a lot of effort into working out processes. He has some people doing traces down to 4 mils. Part of what makes this possible is using 1/2 oz copper. This helps prevent undercutting. Anyone who etches can use that tip.

3v0

3v0,

Don't wish to hijack this thread with a tangent, but 0.5mm pitch IC's are tough for the toner transfer method...its not the width of tracks (I've managed 8mils with any paper) its the gap between SMD pads...which can be 0.1-0.15mm.... With so little room for error, it doesn't lend itself well to toner transfer, although I'm sure it can be done.

For photoetching however, its all down to the artwork :)

Futz, if you're feeling lazy I could attempt to design an adapter for you in eagle? I've done so many little boards/adapters it's not really a hassle..just something else to add to my library. Just say the width spacing you want (0.3" isn't really on the cards, more likely 0.6" like a DIP40).

Last edited:
I am not sure that it could not be done. I have heard of people doing 4 mils.

If the gaps too small one could narrow the pads on the part.

3v0

EDIT: Bill talked about a place that makes adaptor boards, could be smartz boards or similar. They use a process that raises the level of the PCB surface such that the leads sit in wells. Makes soldering a breeze. Or so they say. If I find the URL...

3v0,

Don't wish to hijack this thread with a tangent, but 0.5mm pitch IC's are tough for the toner transfer method...its not the width of tracks (I've managed 8mils with any paper) its the gap between SMD pads...which can be 0.1-0.15mm.... With so little room for error, it doesn't lend itself well to toner transfer, although I'm sure it can be done.

For photoetching however, its all down to the artwork :)

Futz, if you're feeling lazy I could attempt to design an adapter for you in eagle? I've done so many little boards/adapters it's not really a hassle..just something else to add to my library. Just say the width spacing you want (0.3" isn't really on the cards, more likely 0.6" like a DIP40).

Last edited:
Try Proto-Advantage, they're much more reasonably priced:

They have an LQFP-64 to DIL/DIP adapter for $14.99.

Proto Advantage - SMT to DIP Adapters

I really don't see how that beats futurlec's price of $1.30. This is at least the third time I've seen you push this company; your posts are beginning to look like spam. :D

EDIT: Woops, that is $0.90 :

64 pin LQFP Adapter
Adapter for standard 64 pin LQFP SMD Parts
Part Code: 64PINLQFP
Pricing:
Features
• Solid Construction
• Plated Through Holes
• Easy to Replace On-Board
• Standard LQFP Pin Width - 0.5mm
• Dimensions: 38mm Length, 38mm Wide, 1.2mm Thickness
Qty