Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LQFP-32 0.8mm pitch - Solder/Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

din506

I recently bought a FT232BM (**broken link removed** - page 10 has the chip size information) and I am trying to figure out the best way to attach it to a breadboard/pcb or actually, at this point, anything conductive. I am not a pro at soldering and with all the coffee I drink, I can’t hold my hand steady enough even if I had a fine tipped iron. Ideally, I would love some ZIF type socket i can attach to a small pcb, but, I’m sure that’s a bit much to ask. (The ones I’ve found online are about $100-$200.) The best way I though was to solder it the best I could, and take a small jeweler’s file to break the solder between the pins that I shorted. I’m looking for any suggestions anyone may have with either an adapter commercially available and/or home made or tips on how to properly solder small devices. :)

Thanks for the help

It's just a USB to RS232 converter chip, it seems pretty pointless breadboarding one? - just buy one ready built, or buy an FT232 ready mounted on a PCB - there are a number of suppliers you provide modules like that. Then link the ready built USB to RS232 converter to your breadboard.

What are you trying to do anyway?.

This is true, but that takes all the fun out of it :lol: That and I got these parts for free.

I’m essentially building a USB->RS232 converter. Yes, I’m sure there are a lot better ways to do this, but none the less, for various reasons, this is the road I am now on. All I really need, is a way to connect to these tiny leads.

Thanks for the help

din506 said:
This is true, but that takes all the fun out of it :lol: That and I got these parts for free.

I’m essentially building a USB->RS232 converter. Yes, I’m sure there are a lot better ways to do this, but none the less, for various reasons, this is the road I am now on. All I really need, is a way to connect to these tiny leads.

Thanks for the help

Make a PCB for it then, spread the connections out to standard DIL spacing, and fit pins through the PCB - you can then plug it into a breadboard (or a standard DIl socket).

Perfect, although $26 is a bit more than i wanted to put in to this, its by far the cheapest.

I always turn to ebay shops for adapters, china and thailand are cheap, and pretty reliable:

**broken link removed**

Buy in bulk and it works out to be <$1 per board.

Blueteeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back