Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LPC vs Stellaris micro

Status
Not open for further replies.

msr

Hello,

Im just "researching" and I would like to know your opinion.

Which microcontroller do you prefer? Stellaris from TI or LPC from NXP? Other? Why?

I didn't use any. Altougth TI seems better for me because: more evaluation kits, TI licensed ARM technology longer ago than NXP (which may not mean nothing once Luminary Micro was bought by TI), TI seems to have better tools and support in general.

What do you think?

Okay, so...

Luminary was bought out by TI and has not had a decent refresh lately. Apparently they are moving to TI fabs. I've been using the Stellaris and it's pretty good, but now I'm using the LPC13xx CM3's and the LPC11xx CM0's. I like the peripheral setup for the LPC's. Some of the peripherals are very similar to the LPC2xxx parts, so you can port libraries if you've used those. Also LPC has the low power CM0 option and the LPC11xx CM0 parts are almost exactly the same as the LPC13xx, so I can port a program from one to the other mostly just changing headers.
For Stellaris I was using the supplied StellarisWare library which is really nice, but really sucks up the memory and speed. Some high end parts have the library in ROM.
Stellaris low end chips are 50Mhz and high end are 80 Mhz compared to the LPC's 50Mhz for LPC11xx, 72Mhz for LPC13xx, and 100 or 120Mhz for the LPC17xx parts.

Your biggest problem with the LPC13xx and 11xx chips is that they only support Serial Wire Debug and not JTAG. I'm using an adapter that I got from Rowley, but I don't think they are generally available yet and you would need to use Crossworks. There are other programmers that support SWD, but $$$. Crossworks supports SWD using the LM3S811 development board if you get that. The LPCXpresso uses a proprietary SWD programmer that only works with Code Red and I don't think they have any plan of expanding it to other development environments.

I'm going to move forward with the LPC parts and leave the Stellaris parts behind for now. Stellaris has more support out, but only because LPC1xxx has just been released so recently and NXP has a really good track record with their ARM7 series. The Stellaris might have been around longer, but NXP has been an ARM partner for a long time and I think they timed the market well with their release now.

Attachments

• 20100308-lpc1114-b&#11.jpg
    20100308-lpc1114-b&#11.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 566
  • 20100308-lpc1114-b&#11.jpg
    20100308-lpc1114-b&#11.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 286
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back