Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low voltage, high current Elec. Magnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pax Writer

Hi experts

I'm just thinking about starting a new project, where I want to either push or pull a piston with a neodymium or similar magnet in it using a low voltage electro magnet in an H-bridge so I can change polarity at will. Compressed air is not an option but I do have the possibility of using a relatively effecient battery.

I don't yet have the specs for the thingy, but my design limitations are, so far:
Voltage: Max 15V (but preferebly 12V)
Current: Up to 40A
Stroke length: ~7.5cm
Stroke frequency: 15-25 strokes/second

Apart from not knowing whether such a project can even be realised (due to currently lacking knowledge of magnetism and mechanics - But I'll study up on that), I wonder if I'll have to make the electro magnet myself or if there's somewhere I can find such a fella (by fella I mean electro magnet, but I guess since I now spent many more words explaining my abbreviation, I might as well not have abbreviated it in the first place... Dang... :) ).
So what do you think:
- Is such a project possible, judging from the few specs I have?
- Should I make my own electro magnet or buy one (and if so, where? Links are appreciated).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Pax

Pax Writer said:
....if there's somewhere I can find such a fella (by fella I mean electro magnet, but I guess since I now spent many more words explaining my abbreviation, I might as well not have abbreviated it in the first place... Dang... :) ).
Dont you just hate it when that happens!:eek:

Regarding the electromagnet, I think that you need to know the mass of the thing you are trying to move.
Only then can you know how much force you will need to move it, and hence the current you will need in the coil.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back