Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

low voltage cutoff switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyskibert

I am trying to protect my 12 volt air compressor from low voltage damage. I was told that using the compressor without the engine running is bad for the unit because voltage drops below 12 volts after a few min. of turning off the engine. The viair compressor company tech dept. told me this, but I figured that only a couple min wouldn't matter....I found they were right because after running the compressor about 4 different times for about 5 to 10 min. without engine running, the unit is now broken!!!!It will not build up pressure, only blows a tiny bit of air out of it... SOOOOOO, I need to find a low voltage cutoff/turnoff switch that turns the compressor power relay off when the battery gets down below 12V. I am hoping this way I can use the unit for a couple of min. after turning off the engine until the voltage drops below 12V.

Thanks for any help with this matter 'cause I am sending the compressor back to the company after 11 months for the one year replacement warranty....(I am not telling viair corp. that I let the unit run without the engine running sooo shussssss!)

I assume this 12 volt system is from an automobile?
I don't see how it could be damaged from such mild under voltage as it's likely just a DC motor and a compression chamber.

No matter. What you could do it setup an Op Amp as a comparator and have it operate a relay.

Schematic from previous thread You will have to tweak R8 a bit to get 12V...

tl431loalarm-png.40211

Last edited:
wow!!!

thanks mikeMI:
i didn't imagine this would be such a contraption!! I will have to study up on this stuff 'cause I am looking@ schamatic andt I don't completely understand this setup..YET...! I will try to make sense out of it as a novice electrical person... I have some knowledge but am always learning...
Any help on making this more understandable would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back