Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Power Wireless Audio Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabxy1

Dear Community,

I need your help - for a extended school project (Topic: Effective transmission of sound) I'll have to build up a fully-functional wireless audio receiver.
How I realize it (digital/analog) is doesn't matter - but the "big thing" is, that it needs to be as small as possible because the hole project should be realized as a pair of wireless in-ear buds.
Because of the limited battery size (~1/4AAA or button cell) and therefore the limited capacitance, the circuit should work - if possible - with:
  • Supply Voltage = 1.2V
  • Current ~ 0 - 10mA (if somehow possible)
  • And of course: as small realizable as possible!
  • If you have a low-power digital idea - tell me, I would prefer clear sound combined with µ-power consumption!;)
At the moment I'm not really sure, if it's better to do the transmission digitally or analog - as far as I know, it's maybe more current-saving doing it all analog (µ-Power FM receiver?)?
But because I'm not sure - I'm asking YOU!
I'll appreciate every advice and suggestion of yours. Of course - circuits (or snipets of) are more than welcome :)
Thank You in advance.

Greetings,
FabXy1

In attachment (some examples how the hole thing could might look like):
https://www.ansem.com/appstories/9999/8/ultra-low-power-fm-receiver-for-hearing-aid
microearpiece_2.jpg microearpiece.jpg Invisity1.jpg Invisity2.jpg phonitodigital.jpg post-46-1131983272.jpg post-46-1131983193.jpg

A hearing aid has parts that are too small for a person to assemble and solder together. A robot does it. The same for the tiny FM radio you want to make.

Where on earth will you find the circuit for an FM radio that works from only 1.2V? Where will you find the tiny parts to make a tiny FM radio? If the parts are available somewhere then they certainly will not sell less than thousands of them.

Instead make something that is possible and is practical.

Sony makes the SRF-59 FM Stereo/AM Walkman (analog) Radio that operates for about a 100 hours from a single 1.5V AA alkaline battery driving a headphone, and does it with quite good fidelity down to near 1V battery voltage. Rather amazing. But getting those parts into a ear-bud would likely be a real challenge.

I suspect any digital radio would likely take more power.

I have a much older Sony SRF-29 AM/FM Walkman radio that is powered by a 9V battery. It sounds good on some FM stations but its performance is poor.
It is severely overloaded by strong local stations (they appear mixed together all across the dial) when it is switched to Dx. It does not get ordinary strength nor weak distant stations when switched to Local.
The switch is probably just a simple attenuator on the antenna which is probably the headphones cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back