Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low power radar (BEng project)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IacovosGio

Radar is now being used in a number of intustrial applications ranging from detection of reinforcing bars in concrete to the location of objects buried deeply in the ground. With the appropriate choice of operating frequency much larger depths may be probed than is possible with other techniques up to 30m. This project will use low power 10GHz modukes as a simple pulse echo system to locate the presence of metal objects. if succesful ot may be extended to give an ''A scope'' readout of the object distance. Results obtained from a working system will allow the specifications to be laid down for a higher power version capable of locating objects at depth, say 30m.

That is my project for my BEng... and i really need some help.

Thank you in advance,
Iacovos.

Since one significant component of your system will be a transmitter and RF transmissions are regulated - frequency, power, antenna, modulation or mode - you might want to understand the limits you have to work within. Licensing of some form might be required. I'd contact one of the commercial equipment manufacturers or geosurvey companies and explain your situation - a student. They might help to guide you.

What makes you think that 10gHz will penetrate the earth? Has anyone done this, or have you some data? The US Navy uses extremely low frequency to penetrate ocean water but sonic pulses are generally used to penetrate the earth.

TsNIIRES JSC has published test results based on scans of a representative wall section (comprising seven 1 x 1.2 m2 layers of plasterboard with a total depth of 10.5 cm), a ferro-concrete structure and a rubble cored wall faced in concrete. Photographs of the images generated clearly show a range of items (a pair of metal wires; five 25 mm (dia) coins; a mock-up of a pistol; and a 1.5-cm-deep, 3 x 3 cm2 aperture located 1.5 cm in from the section’s outer surface) embedded in the test section, reinforcing bars within the ferro-concrete structure, and individual pieces of rubble and gaps within the faced wall.

**broken link removed**
as retrieved on 10 Aug 2005 07:49:16 GMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back