Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Power Oscilator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need a sine or square wave that rises above and below zero volts - or a square form that goes from nearly zero to about 5 volts (or whatever)? If you can find a 555 that works at the voltage you have you might try that. See the datasheet for LM555 as a start. It shows how to determine the R and C values.

I need a square orm that goes from nearly zero to about 5 volts, and i need to use exactly the low power oscilator circuit described in the CD40106BC' s datasheet

If you look at the datasheet, to the right of the circuit diagram are some formulae.

One of them gives the frequency. The frequency is only approximate and the formula is a bit involved. But it can be resolved to:

F = 1/(2RC) (for a 5volt supply at 25degC)

If you want 4khz, make C = 0.1uF and R = 1250 Ohm.
Be prepared to change the value of the resistor if you want an accurate 4kHz.

JimB

The problem is that i need to determine the parts. I need to know what value do Vt- and Vt+ have, to determine the parts. For example, what are thos values for C = 0.1 uF.

The formula for frequency (f) can easily be solved for RC. Once you have done that, simply plug in the values of f, VT-, VT+, and VDD.
You can get VT- and VT+ from the specs in the datasheet. Unfortunately, they are not tightly controlled, so your frequency will not be very predictable.

An ordinary Cmos inverter can provide only a small output current, which is even less at the low supply voltage of 4.8V. So I think the resistor value in the oscillator should not be less than 10k ohms. Therefore the capacitor value will be about 0.01uF. The resistor could be a 25k pot in series with a 4.7k resistor to allow you to set the frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back