Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low pass filters & Notch Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

maidmarion

Hi just a few questions if anyone can help me on -

1) Can anyone please advise me on what the vocational uses are for a Notch Filter?

2) When setting up an investigation for a Notch filter what sort of components would be used?

3) When 2 low pass filters are in cascade, why does the slope become steeper?

4) What is the relationship between the -3dB and cut-off frequency in a low pass filter circuit?

Any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks
Laura

maidmarion said:
1) Can anyone please advise me on what the vocational uses are for a Notch Filter?
It removes a narrow range of frequencies. I use a notch filter in my harmonic distortion analyser circuit to remove the fundamental frequency of a sine-wave so that measurement can be made of only the harmonics.

2) When setting up an investigation for a Notch filter what sort of components would be used?
Look at Notch Filter in Google. An opamp, some resistors and some capacitors are usually used to make a notch filter. I made one with a switched-capacitor Butterworth filter IC.

3) When 2 low pass filters are in cascade, why does the slope become steeper?
The slope is also cascaded. The attenuation is doubled at a frequency past the cutoff frequency.

4) What is the relationship between the -3dB and cut-off frequency in a low pass filter circuit?
The -3dB frequency is called the cutoff frequency. The cutoff frequency of a single-order Butterworth filter is calculated by 1/(2 pi RC). The calculation is more complicated when the filter has more orders.

A more common and familiar use for notch filters is in the analog cable industry. Cable distributors use notch filters to prevent a particular installation from receiving certain--usually premium--channels. When you subscribe to one of these channels a technician removes the appropriate filter from a special pole-mounted enclosure and you're then able to receive it.

I²R said:
A more common and familiar use for notch filters is in the analog cable industry. Cable distributors use notch filters to prevent a particular installation from receiving certain--usually premium--channels. When you subscribe to one of these channels a technician removes the appropriate filter from a special pole-mounted enclosure and you're then able to receive it.

But that really old crude technology, surely no one uses analogue cable these days?.

A common use for notch filters is in medical equipment used to record ECG/EEG/...signals. All have notch filters for 60Hz (or 50Hz) that filter out the interference radiated from the buildings' power wiring.

Ken

Also, if you want to receive some radio / TV station that is close (in frecuency) to a powerfull local transmiter, then a notch filter between the antena and receiver often helps to reduce interference.

Cable TV in Canada is a combination of old analog and new digital.
All stations are available as digital with better picture and sound than analog.
Old broadcasted stations are available as both. New cable-only stations and pay TV are digital-only. A converter is needed to select and decode them.

Years ago before digital, I saw the cable TV box down the street over-stuffed with notch filters for everybody who did not pay for extra channels.
Then they added new notch filters at each home where the cable enters.
I had one and it messed up my reception of ordinary channels so I complained and they removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back