Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low pass filter not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaston

Hello everyone,
I am trying to make a passive low pass filter for a speaker. I have some .15mH coils. I put two of them in series and tested it on my inductor tester and it reads 303:mu: H. Which is .303 mH correct? So i put that in series with an 8:eek:hm: speaker, hooked up my signal generator and mt scope to the speaker. The problem is i don't see any change in amplitude whatsoever all the way up past 10kHz. I figure it should drop of at 4kHz. Any ideas as to what could be going wrong?

Try replacing the speaker with a 8 ohm resistor. I think the filter will work.

I attached an impedance graph of a low frequency speaker. (4 ohm) The impedance changes with frequency. In your case the 8 ohms could be 2x, 3x or more at 10khz. At the point where you think you 300uH (.3mh) coil is interacting with 8 ohms, the speaker impedance is really 20 ohms. The impedance of the coil and the impedance of the speaker are headed up with increased frequency.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 119
Can your signal generator drive an 8 ohm speaker properly? I doubt it.
You need to drive them with a circuit that has a very low output impedance like a power amplifier.

you were correct AG. i couldn't turn it up loud enough to really see how much it dropped because my kid is sleeping and it sounds like a spaceship landing when i sweep the frequency : ) and i don't want ti give him nightmares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back