Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Frequency Loop Stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

solis365

I have an op-amp with a single order low pass filter on the output. A simple series resistor and shunt capacitor. This opamp is only supposed to work with DC so the filter has an extremely large time constant - somewhere around 1000s. About 1MΩ and 1000uF.

I would like to know anyones thoughts on keeping a system like this stable. Obviously the opamp will not be rated on the datasheet to be stable for much more than a few thousand pF since a DC precision opamp is required. The series resistor of 1MΩ I thought would be enough to isolate the capacitor but it appears this is not the case, and some capacitive peaking is occurring at about 1-10mHz, depending on the configuration of the rest of the system. This causes the system to oscillate at these very low frequencies when I add a small white noise source at the input.

The opamp and filter are connected in a control loop. The capacitive peaking (and oscillation) go away with removal of the filter. Unfortunately the filter is required to remove noise from the system above 1mHz, so I cannot really get rid of it unless someone else has an idea for attenuating super-low-freqency signals.

The load, as shown in the diagram, is a parallel resistor and capacitor. The load capacitance is also very large (0.3F supercap). It also causes problems with the stability, but eliminating the LPF fixes the system so I am hoping to see if I can fix the problem there and not change the feedback network. Sorry to black box it, but you can assume its input impedance is very high (like a FET amplifier buffer) so the LPF is not loaded down by more than a couple pA.

Attachments

• current_source_diagram.GIF
    current_source_diagram.GIF
    8.5 KB · Views: 180
The problem is not likely the op amp. There must be some phase-shift in your box labeled "Feedback Network" that is causing the oscillation. I need to know what's in the box to help you further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back