Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low ESR capacitor (what type?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchneco

Hi guys, I'm currently involved in making an evaluation board for an LDO switching regulator. I just want to know if what's a good type of capacitor to use with a low ESR?

Read the datasheets, but make sure you use good quality ones - such as Panasonic.

Cheap crappy ones (like Capxon) look good on the datasheets but fail in a fairly short time.

Often LDO regulators call for a small (2 - 3Ufd.) ceramic output capacitor.

I may have led you astray by making a blanket statement. The data sheet should be your guide. Most LDOs need low ESR because of how they are compensated but some don't like them (see app note) which one are you using? My bet is ceramic close to the output is good but Nigel is right, the data sheet will tell you better.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/10/AN-1482.pdf
Analog Devices : Analog Dialogue : Low Dropout Regulators
PC Layout
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/10/LP38501-ADJ.pdf

PS don't forget about the input filter.

Last edited:
Caps

They all should be as close to the IC as possible and the capacitor current should be the only current thru the trace if possible. Single point ground.

Attachments

• spg.GIF
    spg.GIF
    14.8 KB · Views: 159
I wouldn't use them if they were free! :D

WHY Nigel?

I Use these on ALL my projects and NEVER had one fail yet.
In the past 25 years I have now used over 10,000 of them.

Some people just don't know Where or How to use them properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back