Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Drop Off voltage regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

walshlg

How do these things work? From what I'm reading it appears tha you can get say 11.7V output from a 12V source at 1A -> is this correct? How does it work if you need 1.7V across the transistor minimum? I'm considering using this as a voltage follower in place of a power transistor as I could get a higher output voltage.

[I'm trying to make a fan speed controller buffer to handle multiple fans on a single controller line (eg there are 3 fans on my PC watercooling radiator) but I want to be able to get as close to 12V as possible for max speed when things get hot. Pulse width modulation (with 3 lead fans) makes the tach signal worthless so can't go that way btw]

They use a different topology than the standard NPN pass transistor regulators (like LM317s and 7805s). It probably uses a single P type FET as the pass transistor.

speakerguy79 said:
They use a different topology than the standard NPN pass transistor regulators (like LM317s and 7805s). It probably uses a single P type FET as the pass transistor.

Or (more likely) a PNP transistor, as used in 12V portable TV's for decades.

hi,
This was recently posted by a member. 'thespeakerguy'

Explains standard Vregs and LDO.

Last edited:
Thanks! I really liked that tutorial. I was just wondering about the physics of the gating etc as to how the PNP can turn on with such a small voltage drop. Sometimes I can understand such explanations like the basics of how transistors work, so I was just wondering what is different about this configuration. Just curious.

If you use an n-channel MOSFET and a small boost converter so you can drive the gate at a higher voltage than the supply, you can get a very low drop out voltage.

It's a wonder that some ICs don't use this technique. There could be an on-chip voltage doubler so all you need to do is add a couple of ceramic capacitors to give an ultra low dropout regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back