Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

low cost connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevez

I would like to standardize on a connector for things that require a 12 volts DC power supply. My needs are a balance of low cost, reliability, ease of assembly and commonality with what others (in US) are using.

My ham radio friends pointed out the Anderson powerpole, 30 amp (PP30) connector and said it seems to be a standard of sorts. Local emergency groups all use the connector so equipment can be swapped out easily. They are sold as single pole units but snap together ( a little adhesive helps make it permanent). There is no male/female - just turn the connector over and it mates up to another just fine. My cost for a bag of parts to make up 10 connections (20 connectors) was $11 at a local hamfest. Contact is rated for 30 amps, voltage rating is 600 v ac or dc. Wire size is #16 to #12 so perfect for my power applications.

I've got some Molex around but they seem a bit light for power duty.

Does anyone have any ideas on reliable alternative that would offer some cost advantage?

Thanks.

I use those connectors for battery connections alot at my work. They are great for this application. The SB50 is what I mainly use, the nice thing is that they are very durable, easily repaired, and self polarizing in that they can only be connected one way. They come in different colours, which only mate with the same color. They are 2 pole, good for 50 Amps.

They are, like you say very common, especially in battery / power connections. They come in sizes up to massive forklift battery disconnect with pull handles.

Others that I use for lower power ( under say 10 Amp ) are the ITT - Cannon "Sure-Seal" plugs that have a water-tite rubber boot similar to a spark plug boot. They can be configured any way you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back