Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Loudspeaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakey2k10

I've just finished my exams and managed to get my hands on 2 8Ω, 8 inch loudspeaks. I'd like to create 2 seperate loudspeakers that can be connected up to an external (probably cheap skytronic) amplifier for use with my CD player. I have a little knowledge of audio circuits as i took electronic products at GCSE level but nothing extensive. Any ideas?

The speakers migh be cheap and produce no bass or produce boomy upper bass with no deep bass.
Or if they are good quality speakers then the manufacturer will have plans for an enclosure that matches their specs.
They probably need a tweeter to produce high frequencies and the woofer and tweeter will need a crossover network to give high frequencies to the tweeter and low frequencies to the woofer.

Hi, Blakey.

Don't worry about Audioguru. He does that to everybody. (I think he's a Hi-fi snob.)
What you asked about seems to be, "how to make a cabinet" because the circuit you need to connect an external amplifier to a speaker is called "wire". If I have not guessed correctly, please clarify your question.

Some people have a hearing loss or have tin ears. They don't like to listen to live or hi-fi music, they think a cheap AM radio is good enough.
Some young people don't know that a cheap speaker sounds awful.

I am not a snob. My hearing is still pretty good for my age (I'll be 65 in two months). I like music to sound clear and real.

I am very happy with my Cerwin Vega H15 speakers, and I've enjoyed working with live bands and recording studios over the years. The sounds I have heard have given me goose bumps, several times, but I can still answer questions about how to connect other speakers.

This website gets questions from all sorts of beginners. Most of them don't have state-of-the art equipment. If they want to hook up a POS in their garage, that's OK with me. As long as they are willing to help themselves, I am willing to help them figure it out.

I literally only have the speakers, no circuitry. I know what wire is, and have used it many times before ( i'm guessing your talking about the thin insulated metalic round strips?).
If anyone you could give me a link to a circuit diagram or anything of use, that would be much appreciated :)

What do you want to make?
You have a CD player and a cheap amplifier. What other circuitry do you need?

I've done a bit of web searching and found that I can't find a drawing of a single speaker connected to a single amplifier because it's too simple. The amplifier presents 2 conductors to the outside world. The speaker has 2 terminals. One speaker terminal is either marked + or it isn't marked. If you connect a small battery, like a AA cell to the speaker, when the cone jumps toward the front, the battery terminal that is positive is connected to the speaker terminal that is supposed to be positive.

If your amplifier has a round jack, the center conductor is called positive and the outer is called negative. Connect positive to positive and negative to negative. If your amplifier doesn't have a round jack, maybe "red" is being used to designate positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back