Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Loudspeaker Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try posting a picture of it, and not a generic speaker!.

But basically there are two options:

1) It doesn't have three tags - it only has two, the centre one is just where the strip is mounted.

2) It's a dual coil sub-woofer.

A third option?

3) A connection to the metal frame of the speaker.

JimB

many speaker I saw containd a third pin - nothing but the speaker body as told by JimB

If it's an old speaker from the days of valves it could have another coil for hum cancelling.

Many years ago, speakers didn't have a permanent magnet. They had a coil as an electromagnet. It was also a filter inductor in the power supply. But surely it would use 2 tags then the speaker would have a total of 4.

audioguru said:
Many years ago, speakers didn't have a permanent magnet. They had a coil as an electromagnet. It was also a filter inductor in the power supply. But surely it would use 2 tags then the speaker would have a total of 4.

I have recollected after hint from HERO999 and you confirmed.
but I don't expect such old item being referred now a days for actual use.
i only hope to see the photo from the O P

audioguru said:

I've used some of them! :D

They were BTH 18 inches from an old cinema, I was given the audio system when it was converted to an auction house.

The amplifer was 6 feet tall, 19 inch rack, and had a single knob for volume, about three inches across. It's output was about 8W or somthing!.

I gave the amp away, and we used the two 18 inch speakers for a club we used to do the disco at, along with the single wooden latticed HF horn.

We had no idea what the power ratings were, but they happily survived with 125W RMS fed to them!.

I have an 18" sub speaker that is brand new still in its carton. It is rated for about 1500W RMS. It is very heavy. I never tried it but I heard them in arenas.

I should hook it up and blow out all the windows in my neighbourhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back