Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lots of jumpers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

I layed out the pc board with the power supply traces first(12v+, 12v-, grd)
have 2 or three jumpers on the ground traces(all the supply traces are .030 wide on 2oz boards.
have lots of jumpers for the small signal stuff (.010)
am thinking I should add some .01 caps around the board but this is a simple graphic equlizer not digital. Should I still run the caps and use tatinum .01uf?
got to be a better way instead of a DS board?
will post pic of proposed layout when I get closer to final layout

You can't get tantalum 0.01:mu:F capacitors.

I normally use 100nF (0.1:mu:F) ceramic capacitors across the power supply pins of each IC and near transistors that switch large loads.

being and audio circuit (eqlizer) circuit which does no fast switching except in the display circuitry I probally don't need the caps but just for making the supply cleaner I just might throw them in.
still trying to sifer the data sheets to figure the current draw of entire circuit for power supply

MrDEB said:
being and audio circuit (eqlizer) circuit which does no fast switching except in the display circuitry I probally don't need the caps but just for making the supply cleaner I just might throw them in.
still trying to sifer the data sheets to figure the current draw of entire circuit for power supply

You NEED supply decoupling capacitors, you should ALWAYS fit them - it's a very important part of every circuit.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You NEED supply decoupling capacitors, you should ALWAYS fit them - it's a very important part of every circuit.

I agree with this. Without on-board decoupling caps you are at the mercy of your power supply and wiring to establish your supply rail's on-board AC source impedance at all frequencies above DC. If the supply is an alkaline battery hooked up with 2 inch wires, then this might not be too bad for some simple analog circuits, but in general you should add your own on-board supply bypass caps to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back