Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lookup table for LCD and 7 segment display

Status
Not open for further replies.

patricktran

Hi ,
Ive read somewhere about how to output data from a MCU to LCD or 7 seg display as follow:
The data from MCU normally is in hex, we convert it into BCD (so that each digit is represented as 4 binary), and this BCD is used to index off the look up table to LCD or 7 seg.
The table is like follow: (Blank, 0-9)
TABLE FCB $7E, $30, $6D, $79, $33, $5B, $5F, $70, $7F, $73, $00
END

How these hex number can be used to display in LCD? I ve checked the ASCII table, cant find anyone of them fits.
Also, is the table for LCD and 7 seg different?
How we can move along the table? Is table recommended?
Thanks

patricktran said:
Hi ,
Ive read somewhere about how to output data from a MCU to LCD or 7 seg display as follow:
The data from MCU normally is in hex, we convert it into BCD (so that each digit is represented as 4 binary), and this BCD is used to index off the look up table to LCD or 7 seg.
The table is like follow: (Blank, 0-9)
TABLE FCB $7E, $30, $6D, $79, $33, $5B, $5F, $70, $7F, $73, $00
END

First off you are making a very common mistake, it's not BCD you're concerned with - it's simply decimal. BCD is a method of storing two decimal digits in a single byte.

What you need to do is convert the binary number to it's decimal equivilent - if you look at some of my tutorials (the Analogue input one is one which does it) they include a routine called 'Convert'. This routine (which I downloaded from the PICList) takes a two byte binary number (NumL and NumH) and converts it to five decimal digits - ones, tens etc.

I then print it on the LCD using a routine called 'LCD_CharD' which converts the digit to ASCII and prints it on the LCD.

My 7 segment LED tutorial shows how to use a table to drive a 7 segment LED.

How these hex number can be used to display in LCD? I ve checked the ASCII table, cant find anyone of them fits.
Also, is the table for LCD and 7 seg different?
How we can move along the table? Is table recommended?

You don't need a table for LCD, just convert the decimal digits to ASCII.

Oh, let me sumaries it.
So with LCD: we convert binary to decimal -> pass it into LCD driver
with 7 seg display: binary to lookup table of 7 seg codes
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks
PS: I will read more the tut. :eek:

patricktran said:
Oh, let me sumaries it.
So with LCD: we convert binary to decimal -> pass it into LCD driver
with 7 seg display: binary to lookup table of 7 seg codes
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks
PS: I will read more the tut. :eek:

You need to convert for the 7 segment as well, but for the LCD you then add 0x30 to it to change it to ASCII. For the 7 segment you use the decimal digit as an index into the table to get the correct bit pattern to display the number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back