Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking to start with 18f series, sugest chips

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no best chip. You use the chip that best fits your laundry list of needs.

Yeah, for now I'm just going for one with a variety of features to learn. If it were just what I needed for my current projects, well a 12F629 could handle most of them.

Yeah, for now I'm just going for one with a variety of features to learn. If it were just what I needed for my current projects, well a 12F629 could handle most of them.
Go for a bigger chip for sure. Those little 8-pinners are more difficult to use, and have no debugging capabilities.

Why not start with an 18F1320. It's a fairly popular chip here, partly because it's the one Bill designed the Junebug's experimenter around.

Or, as you said earlier, the 18F4620. Nice chip.

I'm just about to get these, and probably a junebug, but then I noticed it says its for "most 5v chips" can a junebug program a PIC18F26K20 or an 18F1320?

The Junebug comes with a 18F1320.

The PIC18F26K20 is a 3.3V PIC and PGC/PGD are not 5V tolerant so you should use a genuine PICkit2 if you plan to use that PIC.

May I ask why you would choose a 18F26K20 ?

I might not knowing that, I was just looking at the data sheet. I figured I'd get one that was easy to learn, hence the 18F1320, and one that had more advanced features. Earlier the 26K20 was reccomended, and it looks to be equiped with some nice features, but I dont need low power usage, and knowing that it would require a 3.3v system im thinking I'll pick a different chip for the second fancier one that I order.

Here's some I keep on hand, all work with Junebug

16F88
16F887
16F917 LCD
18F1320
18F2525
18F4550 USB
18F4620
dsPIC30F4013 (a really complex PIC, 5V & DIP package too)

Thanks, I was actually about to ask which chips you reccomend for it.

well, I have some of each of the first 3, and I'll have the fourth one if I get a junebug, so I suppose if I'm going to get more I should try some of the last 4. USB sounds interesting, I wonder if I could actually get USB uplink working.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Junebug, I've been meaning to replace this JDM anyway, its always failing to program for reasons no one can explain but for "*shrug* those things dont always work." Hopefully this will work out well.

Thanks for the order.

What did you mean by USB uplink?

The 18F4550 (a larger version of the Junebugs own 18F2550) has all the hardware required for a USB slave. A USB host is a completly different matter.

Check out the Swordfish BASIC site and grab a copy of the excellent free SE edition. IMO BASIC is very easy to learn and you can move up to C or ASM when you feel comfortable with the hardware.

Yeah, I was just misusing the terminology, I just meant getting the 18F4550 to communicate with the PC using a usb connection.

It's not easy but Microchip supplies a USB stack for the C18 compiler. Also the full version of Swordfish BASIC supports USB.

Jan Axelton has a great USB book worth a read.

sounds interesting, I'll probably save that for later though. I have a bad tendency to get side tracked. For now I'm trying to learn to make remote controlled machines and robots, so I'll be focusing on things like different kinds of motor control, servos, steppers, h-bridges, and things related to IR and radio instruction/data/control transmission as well and computer controlled machines. That last bit could use USB, but like I said, i get side tracked too much. So when i get to computer connection I'll probably just do whatever gets the idea working the easiest and fastest, which i think would be serial, and then add stuff like USB once I know how to make at least the bare minimum of the whole machine and want to make improvements.

Back on the thread subject, I'll probably order some 18F chips besides the one I get with the junebug, and I might as well go with ones that you know work well, like I said before, I don't want to get sidetracked being choosy about stuff that doesn't matter:
18F2525
18F4550 USB
18F4620
dsPIC30F4013
For now I'll read the data sheets, since I'm going to be trying to make RCs and CNC devices, it should be well suited to controlling motors and generating and receiving various kinds of signals, and since I'm new with programming and I'm using high level languages it will need a lot of memory. by the way, when you said the dsPIC30F4013 is complex did you mean its hard to use or what?
I can't wait till i get my junebug kit! too bad I only ordered it thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back