Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for the right chip and how to assemble it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markovich

Hi everybody,

Pretty sure most of you guys know about vaping. I'm really into it, and aspire to build my own. I checked other forums and seems they throw around alot of big words I'm not to familiar with. So I just wanna know my basics and build from there. So here it goes.

The chip im looking for a input that will take 2 18650 batteries that will be set in a series, and I can adjust the output setting through 2v all the way up to 10v with a 20amp limit. also I would like to put a potentiometer to regulate the voltage. How do I go about doing that?

You may need to revisit your spec. first. Your 2 batteries will give you 7.4 volts and 2.2 amp hours. You can use a buck boost regulator to get the desired voltages(check E-bay) but if you try to run it at 10 volts and 20 amps your batteries may melt or at best last only about 3 or 4 minutes.:(

well the trigger would be only pressed for maybe 3 or 4 seconds at the most. Planning to use high amp draw batteries rated at 30 amps maximum draw rate.
How would I tie a buck boost regulator to everything. I don't really know how to put anything together let alone build a board, just yet. so yeah gotta hold my hand for now.

also I hear that a switching regulator would be ideal since the heat dispersion would be kept minimal. wouldn't want the piece to heat up, since it would be mostly held in my hands.

I have seen e-cigarettes but I have not heard the term "vaping". A few people have posted an e-cigarette that is simply one battery cell, a timer and a heater that uses only a few amps.

A 18650 battery cell is 3.2V to 4.2V so two in series make 6.4V to 8.4V when there is no load. A load reduces their voltage. You need a complicated boost circuit to increase their voltage.

A potentiometer is not a voltage regulator. It adjusts the output voltage of a voltage regulator.

The battery is not designed to produce 20A. Probably you will not get more than about 5A from the battery when it is new and less current when it gets old.

Sony18650 Batteries

but these batteries can
I have a piece that allows 2.7v -5.xx volts. rated at 16amps limit.
So that kinda got me thinking if I can maybe improve on that. I understand what the potentiometer does, just figuring it how to tie it all together.

Evercool Chip is there a chip out there that will exceed this chip?
That is a regulator. The max output voltage is only 5.5 volts.
Do you really want more voltage then the batteries can give?
There must be thousands of regulators on the market, but this one will not work for 10 volts at 20 amps.

Last edited:
Aren't you just boiling some water? Why do you need so much current? A 20 amp regulator is big. a 5 amp one not so much.
Anyway, here is one that comes close.

**broken link removed**

Higher currents are used for lower resistance coils.

The OKL2-T/20-W12N2-C is being used on this site:
**broken link removed**

Mamu over on that site builds high quality vaping mods and documents them very well with pictures, BOMs, and other information.

Most vapor users use 1.8-3.2 ohm coils or less than 3 Amps at 4.5-6 Volts with converters like these.
OKR-T/3-W12-C
OKR-T/6-W12-C
OKR-T/10-W12-C

Last edited:
That is a regulator. The mav output voltage is only 5.5 volts.
Do you really want more voltage then the batteries can give?
There must be thousands of regulators on the market, but this one will not work for 10 volts at 20 amps.

Yes I really do, the whole point is to actually rapidly heat the e juice as fast as possible that is why I'm asking for a high demand in current.
Aren't you just boiling some water? Why do you need so much current? A 20 amp regulator is big. a 5 amp one not so much.
Anyway, here is one that comes close.

**broken link removed**
yes that is true I am boiling water in a sense. But how rapidly is what im really looking for. The chip you suggested is something a little to big. I'm looking for something more smaller, not to much Vin and Vout.

Higher currents are used for lower resistance coils.

The OKL2-T/20-W12N2-C is being used on this site:
**broken link removed**

Mamu over on that site builds high quality vaping mods and documents them very well with pictures, BOMs, and other information.

Most vapor users use 1.8-3.2 ohm coils or less than 3 Amps at 4.5-6 Volts with converters like these.
OKR-T/3-W12-C
OKR-T/6-W12-C
OKR-T/10-W12-C

The Resistance I usually sit at is around .5 or .3 give or take. Im looking for something that will allow that kind of load.

You would think that Sony would have their name printed on their battery cells if they are not fakes.

Yes, that one is smaller, but it will not raise the voltage above the battery voltage as you requested, only lower it.
I don't know what you are using to generate the heat - nicrome wire? If so just choose the wire size and number of turns to get the desired results. No converter required.

A step up converter for 20 amps is a tall order and as said it will drain your batteries fast.
.5 ohms at 10 volts is 20 amps but thats 200 watts!

You would think that Sony would have their name printed on their battery cells if they are not fakes.
picture doesn't really do the battery justice. The batteries have a label beneath the green shrink wrap telling what battery it is, and mah capacity.

A step up converter for 20 amps is a tall order and as said it will drain your batteries fast.
.5 ohms at 10 volts is 20 amps but thats 200 watts!

.3Ω .4 Ω is where I usually stand at. 20 amps is high I know, maybe I will cap the amp limit. I'm just thinking it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back