Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for some insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addicted to CF

Hi all. Names Dom and Im getting ready to start quite a few projects for my car. Cars are my passion, except now I want to start designing my own parts. No, not structural parts... yet haha, but for now just interior and other small random things I can find. I plan on using carbon fiber, and yes I am addicted to it :D

So Ive started designing some custom headlights for my car, and I want to incorporate some leds as my turn signals. As I was sitting here thinking about how I would do them, I came across a few complications and was hoping to get some guidance.

I guess Ill start with my idea. I want to make the leds light up in sequence, from the inside of the lheadight outwards. Here is one of my questions, for the sequence could I just gradually go up in resistor size? If thats possible, how would I make it start back at the begining one it has completed the cycle(some of the newer Mustangs have this in their rear turn signals)? Oh, just though of this, I will be using 5 5mm leds. Gahh I think they are going to be 4500mcd at a 30deg. angle. Being that its for a car the power source will be 12v. Is there a website that anyone would reccomend that would show what resistors I might need?

I also think that I would have to how the leds got power. I dont think the OEM turn signal power source would work as it would only be a single flash. This has me pretty puzzled and Im almost 100% positive that some will have such an obvious answer I will end up kicking myself in the ass lol.

I'm pretty sure thats all I got for now, but if this project turns out well (which its off to a good start), I have a feeling I will be back on here looking to get some more info.

Also if anyone knows or would recommend any vendors (dont know if you have any on this site yet, this is my first post after all) or websites that have electrical components for a good price and a good selection, please add that too.

Thanks in advance
Dom

Last edited:
Hi Dom,

Do a search on these forums for "led taillights" or a similar phrase. Its a common topic.

Here is one with a circuit - https://www.electro-tech-online.com...lp-designing-a-new-led-taillight-setup.85050/

In that circuit the entire sequence would have to be accomplished in the time your mechanical flasher lights the turn signal. If you want the sequence to be longer then that, you will have to seperate the custom flasher circuit from the OEM flasher circuit.

The circuit in the link MrDEB posted will only light one led at a time unless you add SCRs to latch the leds on.

There are many, many post on here about sizing the current limiting resistor for an LED. Do a search. Its pretty easy.

I buy most of my parts from Jameco.com. They may not be the cheapest, but the website is easy to use for the average hobbyist.

I don't know your location, so that will affect where the best place to get parts is.

**broken link removed** has good prices on LEDs, but shipping is kinda high and it takes forever for them to come to the USA from Hong Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back