Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for some basic beginner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadav2605

Hi,
Lately I'm really looking into electronics a lot. I want to be able to build circuits with my own programmed PIC controllers that control LED the way i want them to.
I only problem is i don't know anything about how it's done. Therefore, I need some guidance of what necessary components i need to get started.
The third element is the budget. I really don't have a lot of money to spend over it.
For starters how do i connect the pic controller to my computer using a USB connector and how do i program it (technically). What is the most recommended method or product to do so (remember - low budget).
Next, i need to know where am i going to buy all these things from. I prefer an actual store so i can talk to guys that knows something about it. I live in Coral Springs, Florida.
That's it for now.

Thanks a lot,
Nadav

You need a USB programmer like the PICkit2 or my Junebug kit. The Junebug includes a 18F1320 tutor to get you started with programming, flashing LEDs etc.

Thanks, what's a tutor and what are the main differences between those kits. How should i decide?
The Junebug is a two in one sort of board. It has a USB programmer which is PICkit2 compatiable. It also has a PIC18F1320 (the target) which can be programmed by the programmer part. The target has switches, LEDs, variable resistors (learning ADC), and an IR reciever.

I use them in a class I teach at my local high school. They work well.

The Junebug can be used to program other chips via the ICSP connector, as can the PICkit2.

Both the Junebug and the PICkit2 use the same microchip firmware and support a wide variety of processors.

The Junebug is a two in one sort of board. It has a USB programmer which is PICkit2 compatiable. It also has a PIC18F1320 (the target) which can be programmed by the programmer part. The target has switches, LEDs, variable resistors (learning ADC), and an IR reciever.

I use them in a class I teach at my local high school. They work well.

The Junebug can be used to program other chips via the ICSP connector, as can the PICkit2.

Both the Junebug and the PICkit2 use the same microchip firmware and support a wide variety of processors.

I'm sorry buy apparently i'm a bit slow. I don't understand what you are talking about.
I thought it's gonna work that way:
I get some kind of pic to usb connector and program the chip.
Then i put the pic and other components i want to use on a breadboard and work my magic.
What are all these connectors you were talking about and the pickit2 thing and what does it mean the target.

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back