Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for schematics and or parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThE_sPaCeCoWbOy

Hi everyone...

I have some time to kill so I want to start a project. What I am looking to do is make a thermal imager camera. When looking at some of the one on the internet, they seems to carry a hefty 10K+ price tag. I remember looking in a book somewhere they had a IR imager schematic, but I can't seem to find that anymore. Does anyone have schematics?

Anyhow, I want the camera to be able to give me a color video output. I was owndering if there were suppliers like digikey, mouser, etc...that sells the camera itself so I can build the rest?

Thanks for your time,
space

The camera IS the project. And it's not something you can build.

Now understand that there are two types of "IR" cameras. The "see in the dark" camcorder (Sony NightVision, some security cameras) illuminate the scene with invisible infrared LEDs. This type does not detect heat in any way and cannot be modified to do so.

The "thermal infrared" (FLIR) cameras sense thermal infrareds, which are a significantly lower energy than infrareds made from LEDs. This is the very expensive system. They generally don't illuminate the scene. The resulting video can be black-and-white or they can use take the b/w levels and make a psychadelic fake color image. That's just taking the b/w level and making the pure black show up as red and the pure white show up as blue and all the mid-values are different colors.

IR Camera

I think you are a bit confused about what a thermal imager really is. It IS a camera, and like cameras, you won't be able to build one yourself. It's not simply a regular video camera with some special processing electronics connected to the camera output.

The entire thermal camera is one unit. There is no "rest" to build.

Last edited:
I think reading this would be a good start:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/nightvision.htm

The whole thing is built with the design goal in mind, thermal imaging. It is not some circuit or gizmo attached to a digital camera from Best Buy. As said above, this is a single unit, not something you can build in the garage, hence the $10,000 price tag.

Flir

THe part that detects FLIR radiation is a (I assume) a special type of CCD. Similar to the CCD element in a regular camera, except it is sensitive to low wavelength radiation instead of visual light or infrared/near-infrared light (used in low-light cameras).

Last edited:
Camera

I don't think you can get a CCD separately. I have never seen a separate CCD being sold...for any kind of wavelength, let alone a thermal CCD (but then again I haven't been looking).. Even if you get one, you won't have any of the lenses or optics to focus onto the CCD or be able to interface with the CCD element...at the very least interfacing with the a bare CCD would be very difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back