Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for recommendation on an efficient 5V regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

iso9001

Hi,

I'm looking throught mouser right now and figured I'de just ask to see if anyone had a favorite 5V regulator that fell into the requirments I have.

Must have an ON/Off or Inhibit
Low Standby draw
Cheap is good
Surface mount is good too

I wont be needing more then 100ma but I'de like some room for hot days and furture changes etc,

Any ideas ?

check out National Semiconductor's line of LDO / Ultra-LDO linear regulators:

**broken link removed**

sorry i can't link deeper for you, their URLs get kind of huge

they also have an online tool to help design switchmode converters, for the ultimate in efficiency

hehe their design tool had this to say

LP2986 5v ldo regulator with 200mA max current, 180mV drop-out, 38.5% typ efficency, 16vdc max input

LM5008 5v switch-mode regulator with 400mA max current, 92% typ efficiency, 95vdc max input

100mA continuous, or just a pulse?
How much power dissipation? 100mA could mean 50mW or 3W depending on input voltage.

Do you really need an Enable input? Some regs have a quiescent current so low you don't need to disable the reg itself. Proper use of Sleep mode and such can keep the current negligible without disabling the rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back