Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for programmable timed actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

motolectric

Hi,

I'm building a test rig to stress motorcycle starter motors. I want to have an actuator that I can program so that it will trigger the starter motor over a variable period of time, every 15 minutes, every half hour etc.

I also need to be able to program how long it is actuated, i.e. 1 second then wait 15 minutes or run for 10 second and then wait for 15 minutes etc.

I am trying to establish how much damage/extra wear the motors receive when run for longer periods (over 1 second at a time etc.).

I will probably run an SSR to actually switch the power to the starter, so I'm just looking for something that will trigger small voltages, 3 V would be ideal.

Any tips/leads are appreciated.

Thanks,

M./

According to your description, the SSR (I assume this means "solid-state relay"?) is the actuator; are you looking for something to drive the relay from a microprocessor? If you can't drive it directly, seems like an ordinary transistor (2N2222/equiv.) should do the trick.

According to your description, the SSR (I assume this means "solid-state relay"?) is the actuator; are you looking for something to drive the relay from a microprocessor? If you can't drive it directly, seems like an ordinary transistor (2N2222/equiv.) should do the trick.
)

Yes, poor choice of words, what I need is a (prebuilt) circuit or widget that I can set to trigger the SSR on my timetable. For instance I have an AC based timer that turns my espresso machine on in the morning, so once a day I get my trigger. I need something similar but where I can say, turn on every 15 minutes for 1 minute etc.

If it is small and has a low output I can use an SSR to be the actual switch. In the case of my timer above I plug my espresso machine into it and it does the switching itself. Since it was $10 at HomeDepot I was hoping that there is a unit with the features I need available somewhere that someone could point me towards.

Thanks,

Well, since this is posted in the microcontrollers forum, I assumed you were going to use a microcontroller to control your device. Is this not the case? It sounds like you're looking for some other kind of solution, like a circuit that will do this on its own. However, since you want to do fairly complex timing, this might be better done by a microcontroller, which you can easily program to do just about anything.

So not sure what you want, what your electronics/programming skills are, budget, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back