Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for old film projector experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatpie

Hi guys,

I've got an old Canon S-2 film projector that had been stored for quite a while.
I proceded to try it out, switching things on / off and so on over prob 10 mins, then suddenly the inside capacitor blew out. Left my left ear ringing for a while. Anyway I'm not sure of it's replacment equivelent.

Anyone have experience with these ?

Look at the value and voltage rating of the capacitor, if no other components have been damaged when it exploded, it should be fine if you replace it.

I'd recommend replacing all the electrolytic capacitors to ensure it doesn't happen again.

It's the markings on this old cap that I'm not sure about. I'm not used to working on something from the '60s.

Says .1 (k) 400v

It is .1 uf (100 nano) isn't it ?

Picture of where it is in the circuit attached.

Resistor is the grey wirewound shown in the picture. It's about an inch long.

Motor is DC variable speed by rheostat.

Attachments

• P1010282_2..JPG
    P1010282_2..JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 278
  • diagram1..JPG
    diagram1..JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Yes, it's 100nF

The capacitor looks like an RF suppression capacitor so it might work without it. I'd recommend replacing it with a 400V 100nF non-polarised capacitor

Is just connected across the mains supply as per the schematic above? Or are theose components connected across the motor? It looks like a snubber network.

Have you checked the rheostat and the motor resistance?

Yes direct across the mains. As per my drawing.

RF suppression is what I thought. Don't know what the resisor is supposed to achieve and I could prob clip that out too. What do you think ?

Don't think I need to worry about these cos during testing it seemed to be running fine.

I'll do a little more of the circuit and post it soon.

Last edited:
Yes direct across the mains. As per my drawing.

RF suppression is what I thought. Don't know what the resisor is supposed to achieve and I could prob clip that out too. What do you think ?

Don't think I need to worry about these cos during testing it seemed to be running fine.

The resistor is to discharge the capacitor, so you don't get a shock from it. The unit will work perfectly well without them.

The unit will work perfectly well without them.
Yes, just don't complain if there's noise on your audio system whilst the projector is running.

Yes, just don't complain if there's noise on your audio system whilst the projector is running.

Yep, agreed

The resistor is to discharge the capacitor, so you don't get a shock from it. The unit will work perfectly well without them.
Ah...of course...This unit has an auto reel for the cord. A shock from the cap could happen while holding the mains plug pins to slow it's retracting.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back