Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for motor adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_1

Hi:
I have many motors, some are similar to this:
**broken link removed**

But my biggest problem has always been: how do I hook the rotating rod of the motor to anything else to make it rotate?
There must be some kind of special adapters to do that, and I am not familiar with them at all.

If anyone knows what they are or where to find them, please let me know.
Thank you.

Are you talking about mechanical components?

Gears, sprockets and chains, belts, it depends on what you want to do.

If you have a metal lathe or mill you can make your own components.

It must be a mechanical part.

What I am trying to do is: Connect the rotating part of the motor (using some king of adapter or something that clips on) to a 6 inch long, 1/2 inch thick cylindrical piece of wood so that it rotates as the motor rotates.
Very simple, but I never used motors in any of my projects, so I am not familiar with any adapter or where to buy them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe -"coupling" is often the name given to a part that would connect one shaft to another - if the intent was to have the driven shaft turn at the same rate as the driver shaft. Couplings can be rigid or flexible - some actually slip if the torque gets too high. Couplings usually require that shafts be relatively well aligned.

Yes, I want to connect one tiny shaft (motor shaft) to another larger shaft, and I want them to rotate at the same speed. Where I find an adapter to do that?

You will need to know the exact size of each shaft and decide how you'll keep the coupling fixed on to the shaft (or accept whatever choices are offered). I would think that any number of robotics sites would supply some sizes - but you might find that your requirements are such that making it is simpler than purchasing. Small Parts Inc, is one source, McMaster Carr, MSC are other suppliers.

What are the shaft sizes? What is the rpm and torque?

Actually, I found what I was looking for.

Look at the following link, the hollow silver steel has two screws. One to tighten the motor shaft, and the other to tighten whatever you want to rotate. The black hollow steel does the same but the direction of rotation is changed.

All of the couplings shown on the page accessed by the link you provided do more or less the same thing - except that some allow for angular misalignment in that they are two metal parts connected by flexible material. The driven shaft will rotate in the same direction as the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back