Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for large single numeric digit display

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

I need to display a single numeric digit (0-9 or blank). I would like a bright display at least a 2" high digit. It needs to be able to be placed outside and operate from 24VDC. Would like to communicate with RS-232 or Ethernet.
Thanks,
Dale

I'm now thinking of using LED light bars to create a 7-segment display. Is there something that has a serial port (or USB because serial to USB converters are available) and 8 I/O lines? I could then use 7 I/O lines for the segments and one left over for a pushbutton input. I would prefer something that can be programmed with the serial interface and not require a special programmer.
Thanks,
Dale

DSGarcia said:
I'm now thinking of using LED light bars to create a 7-segment display. Is there something that has a serial port (or USB because serial to USB converters are available) and 8 I/O lines? I could then use 7 I/O lines for the segments and one left over for a pushbutton input. I would prefer something that can be programmed with the serial interface and not require a special programmer.
Thanks,
Dale

If you want a real answer you need to provide more info.

What are you trying to do ?

What is at the other end of the serial cable ?

Do you know how to program in C or Basic ?

Maybe a basic stamp or the UBW would work. The UBW comes with a sample BASIC program that allows you to turn LEDs on and off by clicking on the screen.

3v0

DSGarcia said:
I'm now thinking of using LED light bars to create a 7-segment display. Is there something that has a serial port (or USB because serial to USB converters are available) and 8 I/O lines? I

Yes, there are many products that fit your description.

Good call on the light bars - make a jumbo sized display!

Here is an idea to simplify the design:
As you are only using a single digit display, why bother with USB, Serial or Ethernet. It only needs 8 wires so a length of cheap security alarm cable could be used to connect it.

If you only need to change the digit manually, why not just use a rotary switch, diodes and current limiting resistors to light the appropriate segments?

Thanks everyone for the comments. Yes, I am a far better bit banger than wire sparker.

The display will be controlled from a computer which will send an ASCII character over a serial link for the digit to display. I am currently looking at using a Basic Stamp 2 for the controller.

I ran across a Kingbright (Super Bright LED) Dot Matrix Display that is 2" tall which would allow me to display any ASCII character. The only problem is that some of the lines are connected to the Anode and some to the Cathode to form the LED matrix that you then pulse for each LED you want lit.

My question now is: could someone provide a driver circuit sketch that I can use to control the matrix from the BS2 output pins? All I need is a sample for the anode side and one for the cathode side and I can replicate it to cover the entire matrix.

I suppose I will supply 9 to 15 volts through pin 9 on the serial cable for power. The LEDs are 30mA, but can be pulsed up to 155mA with a 10% duty cycle. I need the device to be as bright as possible because the display can be in indirect sunlight. I'm guessing I would like to stay in the 50 to 100 mA range.

Thanks,
Dale

Would this be of any use?

**broken link removed**

You'd need some kind of step-down voltage regulator to get 12V, which shouldn't be too difficult to do.

CanonMan75 said:
Would this be of any use?

**broken link removed**

You'd need some kind of step-down voltage regulator to get 12V, which shouldn't be too difficult to do.

CM75,
Yes, Initially that was exactly what I was looking for. I searched the web site of several of their listed distributors, but they all found no listing for that part though I did not try calling. I would be a bit concerned about that for production use if it were not commonly available off-the-shelf. I still may keep this in mind though.

However, after evaluating several options, I think I am going to develop a 3 character alphanumeric display with a LED matrix. This is more than what I need at the initial location I had in mind, but there is another application in the system where the added flexibility could be very useful and having one piece of equipment for either use would be preferred.

Thanks again,
Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back