Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for help with a serial to usb application

Status
Not open for further replies.

brm647

I'm looking for some assistance in choosing a microcontroller. The application that I have, is retrieval of serial data and conversion to USB such that I can write it to a USB data stick. I will have to implement the serial protocol in the device, which is not a problem. It's been a number of years since I have done any microcontroller programming and need to start again from scratch.
Thanks in advance.

Any standard PIC16F or PIC18F microcontroller should be good. I personally am having a great time with PIC16F887, but that may do much more than you need for this particular application.

I don't think these devices have built-in USB though, so you'll also need to code the USB protocol - but again that shouldn't be too difficult.

ahydra

None of the 8 bit PICs support USB Host mode which is what you need to communicate with a thumb drive. Even with a USB host microcontroller the programming is not trivial.

Pics can infarct do this. All 32 bit pics with USB can do OTG (That means both host and device) I think there are a few new dsPICs that now have that too. Microchip even has a example code that reads and writes files to a USB thumb drive or interface a USB keyboard.

Any standard PIC16F or PIC18F microcontroller should be good. I personally am having a great time with PIC16F887, but that may do much more than you need for this particular application.

I don't think these devices have built-in USB though, so you'll also need to code the USB protocol - but again that shouldn't be too difficult.

ahydra
If you Google, You would find virtual or software based USB implementation for 89S5x series. if that was possible, perhaps you can struggle writing one for pic16F8xx. not sure how difficult !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back