Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for good-round cable store

Status
Not open for further replies.

fezder

So, i have quite ridicilous problem, i can't find store that sells 22/18/16awg wire, preferably at reasonable price for quantitites of around 100ft (30meters?)
ecpecilally having trouble finding good stock of 22awg solid wire, more than 6 colours that is. so just to put clearer:

22awg solid & stranded
18awg stranded
16awg stranded

those are the sizes i use mostly, i'm beginning to think buying CAT-cable for 22awg~ solid, but that's quite invonenient way. And i preferadly if there would be one store where to get all this, and ships of course to finland, local markets are, surprise quite thin
Thanks!

well digikey i know surely WILL ship to finland, and that other store, never heard. According to their wesite, i must send email for them so they can calculate shipping costs and such
well digikey does have good selection, wonder how i missed that store

only even digikey filter shows as solid, still all those are stranded wires?

I focused on this phrase:

ecpecilally having trouble finding good stock of 22awg solid wire, more than 6 colours that is. so just to put clearer:

Daburn is the manufacturer/brand. It didn't used to sell direct in small quantities (less than 1000 feet), but now it does. I would still buy from a know entity, like a distributor, unless I needed something that wasn't carried.

For the other items in your list, it is just a tedious search. You need to start at the beginning of the parametric search routine to find stranded.

John

What about 22 AWG ribbon cable?
3391%5E10%20100_sml.jpg

ribbon cable would be good for stranded, didn't think of that!

There are too many unspecified options to choose but due to weight, costs tend to fall from $.0 50 to $0.10/ft depending on bulk spool size and economy of scale common use wire ( like CAT3 , Speaker wire and household wire)

For work I stocked #8 in 4 colors and #18 in 10 colors with the lower number of strands (less flexible and would stay bent). I found a manufacturer in the states that required a $50 minimum order at the time and 100' minimum put ups. For the good price, I had to wait until they ran it unless they had it in stock. At the time, it was about 1/2 the price of the distributors for similar wire. Wire is heavy for an over the pond ship. A friend bought a selection for building tube amps.

Interesting that you went for the less flexible. For all of my uses, I preferred the ultra-flexible PVC or its near equivalent. For high power sources, e.g., DC model aircraft motors, I went with silicone insulation. As Tony stated, there are just too many unknowns in fezder's request to be more specific.

John

I was wiring DIN rail based controls. DIN rail + wiring duct. I want the wire to stay where I put it, and I wanted stranded. It was used typically under DIN rail terminals with "wire protectors".

For finer wire, I always used ferrules.

I interpreted Fezder's request to be standard hook up wire.

My most recent home wiring problem was a 50 YO dehumidifier. The power cord was special because of how the case was designed. 5 sides came off in one piece which left the bottom. The cord fit in a 1/2 open circle along the bottom edge.

I found an appropriate cord at a local vacuum cleaner store/repair center. Then to fix the dehumidifier, I soldered and heat shrunk Teflon insulated wire and then over covered that with a fiberglass braids.

A few years ago, I spent about 2 weeks painting it. About 5 years prior, I cleaned the coils and painted the bottom.

So, good as new: Never had a water alarm and the humidistat is sloppy. It's really only used when water gets in the cellar.
An outlet strip based humidistat/temperature would run about $130. The water reservoir overfill, would be harder.

unknowns in fezder's request to be more specific.
I interpreted Fezder's request to be standard hook up wire.
yes, what is used in breadboarding, like what i believe is called ''wire-wrap'' only i know it's not precisely wire-wrap, as if i'm not mistaken wire-wraps are around 30awg and with very thin insulation.
This hook-up cable i'm running short of is indeed 22awg (but i thing 24 awg is good also) tinned copper, at least there is pure copper in center but silverish coating, like in computer cables.
Some markings that might be useful at cable: 80'c (temperature rating) 300v (voltage rating, no way i'm putting nothing near mains in these lol....just saying) that was was 22ag solid
22awg stranded has same markings, but as extra awl type 1007, (dunno what that means)

as for 18awg and 16 awg, i'm looking for computer cables as they seem to do just fine in that application and POSSIBLY (need verification from you guys) in automotive installations.
markings in these computer cables (BOTH 18 AND 16AWG) : AWM 1007 18AWG VW-1 80'C 300V E77981 WONDERFUL-D LL43774

i can stock good variety of silicone cable for more flexible stuff but gladly of course hear if there is good shop you guys know for range 16mm2->0.5mm2 (sorry, not sure but awg is probadly something around 6/8?-24awg

If you need the wire for breadboard, then I recommend 22 awg solid, tinned. It can be almost any insulation, but PVC strips easily and is very common. Commercial jumpers (e.g., 3M) fit that specification. That is 22 awg, tinned, solid, low-temp 300V PVC.

Type 1007 is a UL specification (**broken link removed**).

John

Thanks, good think people are willing to help with this somewhat ''easy'' question!

fezder said:
yes, what is used in breadboarding, like what i believe is called ''wire-wrap'' only i know it's not precisely wire-wrap, as if i'm not mistaken wire-wraps are around 30awg and with very thin insulation.

Your right, that "wire wrap wire typically is very fine and usually has Kynar or Teflon insulation. Good stuff for PCB repairs.

But, wire-wrap is a technique. I've seen 22 AWG used with wire wrapping in very old TV sets.

Your right, that "wire wrap wire typically is very fine and usually has Kynar or Teflon insulation. Good stuff for PCB repairs.

But, wire-wrap is a technique. I've seen 22 AWG used with wire wrapping in very old TV sets.

Not something that was ever used very much, certainly not over here anyway.

But I do seem to remember they built complete mainframes with it in the USA?.

Here's a discussion about wire wrap: https://www.jameco.com/jameco/workshop/techtip/wirewrap.html

I worked on one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auger_electron_spectroscopy that had a wire-wrapped interface. One color went out on the display and you could not read a piece of data on the screen. They soldered just the power connections of the WW IC sockets. Turned out they missed one. It took like 7 years for the problem to show it's face.

The amount of cabling on this thing was immense. It was probably 18 feet long. The scanning electron microscope part was crude, but it was a UHV (Ultra High Vacuum) system with dual ion pumps. The operator had to move it from another building He used a series of colored dots to mark the cables and it worked out fine.
Sort of like Domino marking, but with multiple colors.

i've seen those wire wrappings then quite often, now i realized it! they were on-soldered however, would love to get that tool, would make life easier when wiring, well wires to those pins

On your side of the pond: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/pcb-...ing/wire-wrapping-tools/?searchTerm=wire+wrap

I have a battery operated one and a manual tool. Remember the posts are square, 0.025 inches for a standard post.

The t46-4-9M https://www.egr.msu.edu/eceshop/Parts_Inventory/datasheets/trifurcated klipwrap terminal.pdf I used a fair amount of at one time. You can use a standard proto board with a DIP on the front and this pin pushed in from the back. Note that this pin is basically one-sided. I used the square pattern and connected the pin to the DIP socket. Now, you can wire on the component side of the board.

There are ID tags www.elexp.com/ProductDetails.aspx?item_no=19ID20&CatId=1b6ff7e9-cd9b-47a0-b663-54302539ca3e that could be placed on the bottom of a WW socket with the inverted pin numbers on them.

OK makes a nice spool holder with both an integral cutter and stripper. Figure I, here: https://www.mouser.com/catalog/645/usd/2277.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back