Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a source of stackable PCB headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Hi folks, I'm looking for something like the following, dual-row, 34 pins total:

board_stack_lrg.jpg

I'm looking for a manufacturer and part number but am having a heck of a time finding one. Would prefer to stay away from Samtec if at all possible (only because they are very proprietary).

Anyone know of a good source?

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks ronv. Unfortunately that's not quite what I'm looking for. As you can see in the image there is a single component acting as both the female header (on the top side of each board) and the male header (on the underside of each board). I am looking for that exact type of connection, with the specs I mentioned (dual row, 34-pin). Effectively it'll look like a female header with extremely long pins.

Not exactly what you're after, but I've started using these Hirose through-hole sockets. The pins extend through the socket, so the board spacing doesn't need to be exact.

You could use a long header and stack up several boards.

image.jpg

That is going to be tough, as the connector illustrated needs to be soldered to the TH board and have a long tail to mate to the next board. That is, there are no SMD stubs to solder to the top board, like the 3M connector (described below) has.

I checked out some of the 3M offerings for top and rear entry with spring and leaf contacts with surface mounting to the upper board. You could use the headers with long pins to accomplish what you describe.

However, the PreciDip connector seems to be pretty close to what you want. It has a long, square tail for wirewrap and top entry that appears to be able to accept the wirewrap tail. I have up loaded the pdf file from DigiKey (non-stock). The part number is: 803-PP-NNN-53-001101:

upload_2015-7-7_17-11-47.png

John

PS: I know you said "exactly" like the illustration. If it were me, I would go with the top & bottom entry SMD devices and long pin headers, depending on how many boards you need to stack. Probably easier to assemble.

Attachments

• Catalog (5).pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 220
Thanks John. I really shouldn't be using SMD connectors as these boards will likely be pulled and stressed. I know some SMD connectors have through-hole anchor pins, but a complete through-hole connector would be easier and more reliable in the long run. I did come across some wire-wrap headers like you mentioned, and that's probably what I'll end up using. I was just hoping I could find out what the "stackable connectors" are actually called to see if I could get some designed specifically for this purpose.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Matt

I haven't looked at Banggood yet but the only thing I found is from China.
**broken link removed**

I haven't looked at Banggood yet but the only thing I found is from China.
**broken link removed**

Once again, I'm looking for a manufacturer and a part number. This means no ebay, banggood, or anything else like that. This is for a professional project, not a hobby, so I really need a professional source.

Yes, 18 and 20's, but no 17's.
Interesting :banghead:
On a side note:
I used a similar set up for 3 boards in and optical disk drive. On the center board the same smt cap would always open. Turned out to be stress from plugging. I think it was a 40 pin 2 row.
Moved it away from the connector and all was well.

If no one has mentioned it yet, look for PC/104 connectors. There are two in the original standard, designed for a board spacing of 0.600 in. Whoever makes those probably also makes other pin counts. Been too long since I bought any, so I'm blanking on names. I've use both press fit and a strange version that had little formed solder clips or donuts around the pins. No press-fit, you inserted the parts, which pressed the solder donuts between the board and the connector body, then ran it through a reflow oven. Worked perfectly first time out. Methode, maybe... Someone like that, a known-but-specialty connector company.

And you might rethink Samtec. They are fast and reliable.

ak

If no one has mentioned it yet, search for PC/104 connector manufacturers. The original was two pieces, 2x32 and 2x20 with long tails for 0.600" stack spacing. I've used two kinds, press-fit and reflow oven. Too long ago to remember the company names, but known connector companies. One had solder donuts on every pin and hi-temp plastic for a reflow oven.

ak

EDIT - 2x32 and 2x20

Last edited:
you might rethink Samtec. They are fast and reliable.

They are indeed fast and reliable, but they are very proprietary and require licensing when using their products in a professional application. The company I work for is trying to stay away from them whenever possible.

Licensing for a catalog standard connector part? Never heard of it. Also, I've had both Samtec and Positronic build custom connectors, and there never was any licensing. I don't want to sound like I'm promoting Samtec; I'm not. But the idea of licensing a connector, even a custom one, in any application just doesn't sound right. If you can say, what was the nature of your "professional application"?

If by proprietary you mean that they have parts that are not second-sourced by anyone, so do both Molex and AMP, the largest connector manufacturers in the world.

ak

I cannot go into much detail about what the project is, but I am developing some new test equipment for the company to use while manufacturing parts. My boss requested that we avoid Samtec whenever possible. I thought it was a licensing issue but perhaps it was something else.

Hola Matt, if I may ask: in a case like you mention, who would be the licensor and who the licensee and what would be granted?

Hola Matt, if I may ask: in a case like you mention, who would be the licensor and who the licensee and what would be granted?

I couldn't tell you for sure, I expect Samtec would be the licensor and the company I work for the licensee. Granted would be the freedom to use any of their connectors in our professional designs. Not sure how all that works, I've never been on that side of the production process. Only on the engineering/development side.

Hi folks, just thought I'd let you know I found the connector I need. It's Sullins Connector Solutions P/N PPPC172LFHN-M51(RC). I chose the PPPC182LFHN-M51(RC) though because I figured I could use two extra pins for keying. It's an "elevated" connector, but even so its "tail" length (lead length beyond the spacer) is 480mil which should be more than enough for my purposes.

Datasheet: http://sullinscorp.com/catalogs/101_PAGE114-115_.100_FEMALE_HDR.pdf
Drawing: **broken link removed**

Thanks everyone for the help.
Regards,

Matt

Are you going to hand-solder the part?

Not to belabor the point, but many of the Sullins parts, like the one you selected, are blatently similar to Samtec parts. That's not an accident.

ak

The part I'm using from sullins is a very common part, but it has extra-long leads. That's really all I needed--A female header with leads long enough to reach down to the next board in the stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back