Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a replacement relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

youpidelidou

Hello! I'm looking for a replacement for a broken relay in my Whirlpool oven.

The relay model is a NAIS (now panasonic), model number: JW2AH-T-F-DC9V-Y8-H. After a lot of search on the net I have found a bit of information but no datasheet. This is probably a custom made part for Whirlpool, so like this they can sell the whole control panel (300$) instead and make more money on spare parts instead of replacing only the relay for 2$.

Anyway, the spec that I need is:

DPST-NO (2 form A)
Coil Voltage 9VDC
16A 240VAC

Can someone help me find a way to replace my broken relay please?

Thanks for the time you have take to read my post.

Is it PCB or panel mounted? Can you post a good photo if it?

ken

It looks like the JW2 series relay is still being made, but it seems that the common contact rating is 6A, not 16A, and a lot of configurations are form C only. Look closely at your relay: did they just cut off the NC terminals and convert from C to A? This would allow you to buy a form C relay if you find one.

Some of the "special" features of your relay might be post-manufacture moisture sealing of an ordinary JW2 relay, and testing at higher voltages.

DPST-NO (2 form A)
Coil Voltage 9VDC
16A 240VAC

Can someone help me find a way to replace my broken relay please?
For an electrical equiv. Hosfelt.com or allelectronics can probably help you. You'll probably need a dropping resistor to go from 12vdc or higher down to 9vdc.

You'll probably need a dropping resistor to go from 12vdc or higher down to 9vdc.
Just the opposite, and that's the hard part. It's presumed that since the OEM relay is a 9V unit, the replacement will have to be 9V or less. Already these contact ratings (16A, 240V) are unusual with a 9V coil, and will be even more difficult to find with lower coil voltages.

You might consider using a relay like all electronics RLY-523 (call them and see if the contacts will handle 120V or more) to drive the 120V coils of a pair of RLY-482's.

Thank you all for the help! This forum is awesome and I will come back for sure.

I have finally solve my problem, after looking for a replacement relay with the same specs, which is almost impossible (believe me I have look at many different manufacturer and send email to tyco, panasonic, etc... and suppliers).

What I did is the following, I went to my local appliances parts store and ask for a broken board, they were having 4 of them. Normally they send it to a repair shop a resell the part refurbished for 115$ (instead of 325$ for a new). But I was able to have a broken one for 50$ with 2 relays working on it. So I have change the one that was dead on my board and I will keep the rest of this broken board for parts in case it broke again.

Yeah it's maybe cheaper to buy a relay for 2-3$, but when it's impossible to find 50$ is a good deal if you compare to the 325$ +tx. My oven is working find now, thanks for your time guys!

See y'a!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back