Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a pure graphical OSD chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm building an FPV(first person view) system which is mounted on a model aircraft. An onboard micro camera sends real-time video back to the ground through a 2.4GHz transmitter.

With inertial measurement unit, GPS and a bunch of other things, I'll be able to incorporate attitude, cordinates display and all sorts of miscellaneous information superimposed on the original image. Inertial measurement algorithms will be tricky but don't worry about it.

Currently my problem is, I can't seem to find a suitable OSD chip. All the chips in my search results are based on text. While I need to draw rotating and drifting scale markers all over the entire image, kind of like the artificial horizon display on an F-16 HUD in the following image.
**broken link removed**

I'd like to have a chip which has colored input and output, because the airborne cam and the screen on the ground are both colored. The on screen display itself can be either grayscale, or, preferrably colored.

There are also workarounds which involve font memory substitutes, using RAM instead of ROM to maximize flexibility. This approach sounds feasible, but the text matrix nature makes it feel like solving a jigsaw puzzle. It won't be on my to-do list unless there is absolutely no chance of finding a graphical chip.

Any solution? Your ideas are welcome and highly appreciated.:)

Decade Engineering
Pretty expensive at 115 dollars for the cheapest one but it's a ready to go solution.

Thanks for the information, Sceadwian. Yes it is expensive. I thought there could be a 4 dollar chip with a 1 dollar RAM.

Anyway, is that an Altera CPLD sitting in the middle? And I'm not sure what the ATMEL chip is. Looks like an AT91 series ARM chip, but don't know if it could be AVR. Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back