Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a part type

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Im in need of a hydraulic type component.Basically it needs to push in and out i was going to use a servo but thought let me check if there is a part like this out there first.

Air Cylinder .....

AtomSoft said:
Im in need of a hydraulic type component.Basically it needs to push in and out i was going to use a servo but thought let me check if there is a part like this out there first.

Depending on how much force you need, I would think it wold be cheaper to use a double acting air cylinder, air compressors are not nearly as messy and expensive as hydraulic pumps.
There are thousands of different models available, do a little Googeling!

it sounds like a hydraulic cylinder is what your taking about. i agree that an air cylinder would be easier if possible. but air compresses so that can be a limitation for a few different reasons depending on what you are doing. you just need to figure out how much force you need, how much pressure you have available, how much travel you need and what type of mounting you need

Actually i need just a small amount of force. I need to push something that ways like 1/8 of a pound and is like6 inches long. Sort of like how a cd tray goes in and out. In fact exactly how a cd tray goes in and out. But i need it to be able to poush many things like a row of things.

Think of a cd copy tower how there are many cd burners(trays) that open individually but i need them to all run on 1 arm. Like 1 motor controls up and down (location) of servo/hydro.. and the servo/hydro.. controls in and out. from that location

**broken link removed**

But i dont want to use a magnet now. What method would be good here?

I want to go up/down like a elevator then when on a stop push/pull something in/out like cd tray.

Last edited:
AtomSoft said:
Actually i need just a small amount of force. I need to push something that ways like 1/8 of a pound and is like6 inches long. Sort of like how a cd tray goes in and out. In fact exactly how a cd tray goes in and out. But i need it to be able to poush many things like a row of things.

Think of a cd copy tower how there are many cd burners(trays) that open individually but i need them to all run on 1 arm. Like 1 motor controls up and down (location) of servo/hydro.. and the servo/hydro.. controls in and out. from that location

There are of cause also electric motor operated linear actuators of all kinds, you just have to do some engineering to find out what is the best for your application.

ok will look into actuators. Here is another look at what i mean.
**broken link removed**

Edit: haha my friend just told me a great example. Have you ever seen a round cd changer? Like it spins and selects a cd and pushes it out then pulls tray back in. just notice 2/8 = 1/4

Last edited:
What was that again?

AtomSoft said:
OK will look into actuators. Here is another look at what i mean.
**broken link removed**

Edit: ha ha my friend just told me a great example. Have you ever seen a round CD changer? Like it spins and selects a CD and pushes it out then pulls tray back in. just notice 2/8 = 1/4

Does anyone understand any of the above? Is English your native tongue, you don't indicate country of origin in your bio.?
The illustration is not what I would call very descriptive or accurate.
For a more accurate description this might be a start. https://computer.howstuffworks.com/cd-burner2.htm

Last edited:
Rolf said:
Does anyone understand any of the above? Is English your native tongue, you don't indicate country of origin in your bio.?
The illustration is not what I would call very descriptive or accurate.
For a more accurate description this might be a start. https://computer.howstuffworks.com/cd-burner2.htm

Are you serious? You didn't understand what i wrote? "Is English your native tongue?" what did i write that didn't sound Ok? Can you read? Now that is the question. If you don't understand then reread don't try to dis someone who's looking for help or maybe just ask me to clarify it.

A CD Changer - Something that selects 1 CD from multiple CDs
Grey Spins = Grey Plate that spins ( kind of like a car rims)
Blue lines- Like a CD-Roms Tray.
Yellow lines Represent direction of spin.

Now do you understand any of that? So do yourself a favor and stop being a smart a*s. Ill update my bio just for people like you. Now can anyone who is serous help me out?

Last edited:
AtomSoft said:
Actually i need just a small amount of force. I need to push something that ways like 1/8 of a pound and is like6 inches long. Sort of like how a cd tray goes in and out. In fact exactly how a cd tray goes in and out.

https://www.trossenrobotics.com/sto...0-LB-12-VDC-LINEAR-ACTUATOR.aspx?feed=Froogle

Thats what i have found. First it cost to much just to want to move 1/8 of a pound up and down. Weight maybe less that that also. I guess im going to have to try to use a servo for this. Thanks to all (even Rolf) for helping.

Cheap motor......

AtomSoft said:
https://www.trossenrobotics.com/sto...0-LB-12-VDC-LINEAR-ACTUATOR.aspx?feed=Froogle

Thats what i have found. First it cost to much just to want to move 1/8 of a pound up and down. Weight maybe less that that also. I guess im going to have to try to use a servo for this. Thanks to all (even Rolf) for helping.

A small motor like this https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15934&variation= with a 6" threaded rod and a nut coupled to the shaft should give you what you want, if the accuracy doesn't have to be to great.

Last edited:
AtomSoft said:
Here is a refined image on what im creating.(going to create)
**broken link removed**

I don't know much about torque but using a cam like that means the pushing arm is going to be located 6" away from the center of the servo shaft and the resistance becomes much greater than the weight of what you are trying to lift. By the way a servo motor is designed to follow the rotation of another shaft with the appropriate transmitting device on it. Is that what you want?
I would use a DC motor and a screw. The travel could be stopped by a limit switch and the polarity reversed for its reverse travel.

Last edited:
thanks guy Im actually considering what "Rolf" said mainly because i dont have to hunt or order a motor online i can buy in store. (or take off cheap toy) weight will be lite as stated before.probably like 1/2 cup of water (note liquid will not be used)

I guess im going to have to look into this limiting thing. by the way blueroomelectronics junebug will be used in this also.

Thanks alot people any more help now on controlling 2 motors on 1 pic would be cool. Need to control Speed, ON/OFF, Direction(polarity).

Thanks again

You should be able to order the Tamiya gearboxes at almost any hobby or RC store. Very common and not that expensive.

Easy to control 2 motors with a single PIC. 2 CCP channels make it simple, see my Mongoose kit for a schematic of a typical H-Bridge connected to a PIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back