Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a part that will vary resistance levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonbe

Is there an electronic part that will act as a resistor, supplying an amount of resistance across two terminals that vary with respect to a changing amount of electricity passing though another two terminals? Or, does what I am trying to describe have to be made as a circuit of more than one electronic part? Where can I learn about the easiest way to obtain or build a device that will perform this function?

You can use an ldr and led connected together with black shrink tubing or you can do something like this:
**broken link removed**

The nearest simple part that can do this is a JUGFET but the problem is it isn't very consistant.

You haven't given much information, what's the voltage controlled resistor going to be used for?

I started designing a voltage controlled resitor for a programmable load that was going to be used in a project at work but it got cancelled. My idea was to use a MOSFET, current sense resistor, potential divider and analogue multiplier IC (connected as a divider) in a feedback loop. Unfortunately I only got as far as the block diagram so I can't post the schematic which probably would've been too complicated for what you need.

...what's the voltage controlled resistor going to be used for?

I am still researching the value of the max. and min. voltage level that I want to drop between ground on a USB plug and a pin on one of Cypress’ microchips at **broken link removed**. I would like to experiment with voltage levels - that will determine the varying resistance levels, that are about the same as those produced by a speaker on a cassette recorder that plays the types of cassettes at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_cassette.

I don’t want to make this sound confusing – just the name of the part or the location of a schematic would be helpful. Though, I would appreciate specific help.

What about a log potentiometer?

I remember someone saying something about a potentiometer. Is a logarithmic potentiometer just like a regular potentiometer except that the resistance level is tapered? I can’t figure out how to use a potentiometer to connect input and output pins – for a total of four pins, in two different circuits having two different voltage supplies. Could you provide or describe a schematic for this option?

a FET can also be used as a VCR.ofcourse dont know whetehr it suits you aplication or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back