Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for 20kv+ trigger transformer for spark gap igniter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoopdog

Hello,

Recently i bought a spark gap igniter module like from sparkfun, but from a wholesaler relatively cheap. For a while now ive wanting to build my own from scratch, but i cant crack these things open because of the solid epoxy/resin filling the module.

Ive discovered now what it is i need, its a small trigger transformer rated at over 20kv, since i want a spark somewhere between 4-10mm, my problem is, i cant find anywhere that sells these transformers.

Ive heard that i might be able to find ones for xenon lamp starters, but ive had no luck, the best i can find for those are 10kv ones for cameras, which are nowhere good enough.

can someone please help me find a place that distributes these transformers, or an equivalent one which will do the same thing?

thanks

You could go a Car wrecking yard & get an IGN coil from a GM V6 engine. Thats what i used as a spark gap igniter for a Diesel fired furnace.

well, really i am after any transformer with is relatively small, and outputs 20kv or more. because of the small size its most likely going to be a trigger pulse transformer or similar, but really any that puts out such a high voltage is what i am after

See if you can get a dead flashing strobe from an aircraft or emergency vehicle. They have a small trigger transformer right under the Zenon flash tube. Like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back