Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Longevity of storage battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi folks
i have just bought this 600 watt chinese made inverter from the store.Unfortunately,storage batteries a hard to find and very expensive.I have a fairly new truck battery with ff spec. 12v 140AH (20) which i intend using with the inverter.
My question is,how long will this battery last when i use it to power a small wall fan that is 40W @ 240 vac.
THanks
Big UPS!
Kwame

A vehicle battery is designed to supply hundreds of AMPs for a few seconds to start an engine then immediately be recharged.
Your use will quickly kill a vehicle battery.

You need a circuit to sense the voltage then disconnect the load before the discharge is too deep.
Or you can buy a more expensive "deep discharge" battery designed for use in motor homes.

Why are you using a 240VAC fan instead of a 12VDC fan? The inverter uses a fair amount of current so it might draw 140W from the battery to run the 40W fan. A HUGE waste of energy.

Lead Acid Starting batteries are not designed for discharge to less than 90% of capacity. If you discharge a starting battery more than that, you greatly shorten its life. Get a "deep cycle" battery.

audioguru greetings
So you reckon this ordinary battery will last how many hours?
Kwame
Ghana-Africa

audioguru greetings
So you reckon this ordinary battery will last how many hours?
Kwame
Ghana-Africa
I don't know the efficiency of the inverter. It might use 140W to power the 40W fan.
140W/12V= 11.7A
140Ah/11.7A= 12 hours.
The battery will be able to provide 12 hours of fan power for a few times then it will be garbage and you will need a replacement battery.

I have acquired a few cheap Chinese made inverters over the years and the ones I had ran with what I would consider normal SMPS based efficiency of around 70 - 80% depending on load.

Given that I would expect it would be drawing around 50 watts off the battery so that would give you roughly a ~34 hours run time based on the 140 AH 20 hour discharge time rating.

Also being that it has a AH rating and time reference I would suspect it's a dual use type battery not just a starting battery. A combination deep cycle/starting battery so running it down slowly will not do much damage to it if it is getting recharged in a reasonable time.

Still that said I would try and keep the fan run times less than 25 hours before recharging the battery when at all possible.

Hello there,

I have to agree with audioguru in that a 12vdc fan would be a much better choice. Those inverters are not very efficient so you'll loose run time just because of that alone.

If you can run for 10 hours with a 12vdc fan of a given efficiency, with a 70 percent efficient inverter you can only run for 7 hours with a fan of equal efficiency.
If you need more flow than a single fan you may use more than one 12vdc fan to get more air flow like that as a 120vac or 220vac fan might give you, as long as the total power is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back