Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Long shot on scope parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Bob

Hi Guys, Would anyone by any chance happen to have any parts for a HP54111D scope? I need an input attenuator as I destroyed it by accidentally putting in too high an input thinking I had a divide by ten probe on, and an ADC board which went with it.

At the moment there are several complete scopes for sale on the bay some for just a couple of hundred dollars, but you wouldn't believe what these people are like. The cost of the complete scope is not a problem but paying nearly twice that to ship it from America is! so I contact them and say, "If I pay you the asking price for the scope, will you take out the nine plug in boards and the four attenuators and stick them in a cardboard box and send them to me. I will give you the simple instructions how to do it, they are all plug in, will take 15 minutes." then I tell them I will be quite happy for them to sell the three power supply boards and the mother board and the colour board and the colour tube and the tubes electronics boards on the bay and make themselves extra money.

Will they? Will they hell, it's all too much trouble, just give me the money and piss off, unbelievable. That or like on two occasions I get criminals and conmen who say they will but want to take the add down and deal outside of the bay, yeah right, I'm going to risk sending money for parts and postage without the security the bay gives. I really do lose hope for human kind sometimes.

I had one bloke who said he would do it, I sent him a clear concise single paragraph of instructions and warned him that if he didn't follow them he would break something. Then I got three messages in a row "How do you get the bloody covers off this thing?" " How do you get the plugs off?" "oh sod this I have broken the clips now, these boards don't unplug, I'm not doing this " Up to that point I had sent him five messages giving clear details of what I wanted and how to remove them, in some messages I would ask maybe three questions, Never would he answer them, all I ever got was a one line answer, he came across as devious and avoiding questions so I said to him that I wanted the four plastic feet at the rear, Which I do in fact as I broke one of mine,
He replied with one line there are no feet. I replied that the feet are clearly shown in the picture on his advert? no reply.
I asked again, no reply. I am worried now that instead of the scope I am seeing in the advert he is pulling some old scrapper out the back to bits so he can keep and sell the one I think I am buying and I had to know it was the one in the add as there is an older version than mine with boards that have no had mods done to them. I tried to ask for board versions and told him where to read it on the board, one line answer "Don't know"

Ok in desperation I give up and click on pay now and it informs me the add no longer exists, so again a devious git who want's to deal outside of the bay. could he not give me the board versions because he hadn't taken any boards out of anything, and was just talking me into sending him free money?
I couldn't risk it.

What the hell is it with these people? someone is advertising just an attenuator unit on the bay for would you believe $999, yes $999 I clicked on make an offer and offered $60 and pointed out that the scope is over 33 years old and you can buy a whole one for under $200 on the bay. He refused the offer. would rather be stuck with it and end up chucking it in the bin than get some money and help someone. Un be piggin believe a bull.

Right, that's my rant, as you can gather I have been trying for some time to get these parts, I even spent hours trying to repair them, but it always comes down to the thick film combo's the HP made for it and there is no way to replace them.

Anyone got any, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

None of them will sell the scopes, most are advertised as only one channel working and the scope is 33 years old for gods sake! I have all the ones on the bay on "Watch" at the moment and I bet they all expire without being sold.

Last edited:
I cannot help you with parts, but I commiserate with you and feel your pain.

May be the other side of the coin is that the people selling the stuff on e-bay is that they just want a simple deal and the item is gone with a minimum of fuss, and someone in another country who just wants a part of the insides is just an irritation too far.

Good luck in your search.

JimB

As I've noted elsewhere, and this might not suit your needs, but...

As joined at the hip as I was with my old (very old) Textronix scope, for the effort needed to fix it (toasted flyback xformer) and the hassle, aggravation, ebay frustration, international commerce snafus, etc., in trying to find a replacement part I would suggest one of these:

**broken link removed**

handy, dandy, cheap (by comparison) and all the protein of a chicken...

An interesting little portable scope, I am not sure that I would want one in my workshop instead of a full sized bench scope, but that is personal preference.

What does stand out is, as I view the ebay advert, it states Does not ship to United Kingdom
Well, there is a kick in the head!
After all the bally-hoo and bluster on the TV news last week about a UK trade mission to Hong Kong and the associated political testicle fondling, and it doesn't ship to the UK!
Tonga, Tuvalu and Turkmenistan - no problem, but the UK? Nada!

It is enough to make you write a strongly worded letter to *Boris!

JimB

* Boris Johnson the rather larger than life Mayor of London was one of the representitives on this trade mission.

Oops.

Didn't notice that little horsesh*t detail. Don't know what's with Hong Kong sellers (the list of who they won't sell to is humongous). It's not like ya'll didn't give it back, on-time...

Here's the same item from China that does ship to the UK:

**broken link removed**

join the yahoo hp user group, they are a great resource for parts! also i cant remember the name of the american company dad used for parts for one the LA's but they were recommended by the yahoo group and are ace! the company we used were pricey for shipping but one the guy's on the group lives near them and often picks stuff up for uk people and ships it over alot cheaper! anyway point is join the group ;)

I cannot help you with parts, but I commiserate with you and feel your pain.

May be the other side of the coin is that the people selling the stuff on e-bay is that they just want a simple deal and the item is gone with a minimum of fuss, and someone in another country who just wants a part of the insides is just an irritation too far.

Good luck in your search.

JimB
Hi Jim, well yes and no, quite frankly if you knew the weight of this scope I would be very pleased if someone wanted to pay me the full price for it and only wanted a few boards out of it, It's a pure case of idleness and I bet if I offered them a free $100 note they would ask me to put it in their pocket for them!

As I've noted elsewhere, and this might not suit your needs, but...

As joined at the hip as I was with my old (very old) Textronix scope, for the effort needed to fix it (toasted flyback xformer) and the hassle, aggravation, ebay frustration, international commerce snafus, etc., in trying to find a replacement part I would suggest one of these:

**broken link removed**

handy, dandy, cheap (by comparison) and all the protein of a chicken...
The HP5114 is one gig digital scope this is only 70 mhz

join the yahoo hp user group, they are a great resource for parts! also i cant remember the name of the american company dad used for parts for one the LA's but they were recommended by the yahoo group and are ace! the company we used were pricey for shipping but one the guy's on the group lives near them and often picks stuff up for uk people and ships it over alot cheaper! anyway point is join the group ;)
I have had this conversation on here before about something else. I was directed to the Yahoo groups and when I tried to join it demands a mobile number, claiming they only want it to send you messages, not of course to sell to cold calling sales people for vast quantities of money!
But anyway I nor my wife have a mobile phone so I have no number to enter and they can't message me. I think it's disgusting that they demand a mobile phone number to register. People have complained and Yahoo lie and say it's not required despite the fact it says it's required on the form and if you leave it out it demands it and refuses to move on.

i don
I have had this conversation on here before about something else. I was directed to the Yahoo groups and when I tried to join it demands a mobile number, claiming they only want it to send you messages, not of course to sell to cold calling sales people for vast quantities of money!
But anyway I nor my wife have a mobile phone so I have no number to enter and they can't message me. I think it's disgusting that they demand a mobile phone number to register. People have complained and Yahoo lie and say it's not required despite the fact it says it's required on the form and if you leave it out it demands it and refuses to move on.
i dont remember it asking me that! but if it did i would have made it up as i dont have one lol, really is worth the effort joining tho ;)

i don

i dont remember it asking me that! but if it did i would have made it up as i dont have one lol, really is worth the effort joining tho ;)
You think I didn't try that? :) they check it when you submit the form and it refuses to process saying this number is not valid. No they never used to, it's a fairly recent thing, just log out and look at the registration page and you will see. What is really maddening is that I'm sure I joined years ago but I can't remember my login details.

You think I didn't try that? :) they check it when you submit the form and it refuses to process saying this number is not valid. No they never used to, it's a fairly recent thing, just log out and look at the registration page and you will see. What is really maddening is that I'm sure I joined years ago but I can't remember my login details.
i will have a word with dad (ghostman11) in the morning, i'm sure he wouldn't mind posting there for you. or he will probably let you use his mobile number. send him a pm with the details of the parts you want etc, i will also seee if he can remember the company in the states we use or obscure HP parts, they have a website

**broken link removed**

thats there normal page, if you cant seee what you want then send a message to them as they have loads of stuff thats not on there site! they have loads of breakers and can get most things so worth a email/ebay message and we have had good service from them

hope that helps

but i will also ask dad to post on the user group for you see if anyone in uk has the bits you want

Thanks mate, that would be excellent, the scope is over 30 years old but back in the day it was state of the art and cost thousands, it's colour, 1gig digital, has full measurement facilities and memories for storing waveforms, two traces which can be split to four, altogether the dogs cojonas and really is worth keeping going, the Only drawback is it's two fee wide a foot thick and a yard long and weighs a ton :) The electronics is beautifully made with plug in cards, other than the fact some of the boards have hybrid chips made by HP just for the scope and are not replaceable :-( and of course it's always those that fail.
I need and input attenuator and a DAC board to get the other channel going and then I need one of the trigger input attenuators as well as I damaged one when I took it to bits to see if I could use it's guts to repair the input attenuator, as they look almost the same, but it turns out they are not. But the trigger attenuator is not essential.

Edit:- Great thanks mate I will go have a look.
Bob

Edit 2:- I have emailed them and asked them so we wait :)

Last edited:
also get hold of a guy on ebay called wattelectronics he was a hp scope designer for 30+ years and now buys and sells scopes (hp) to sell on ebay he may also be able to help you or point you to alternatives ;)

Morning mate, ok will have a look at that thanks.

Edit:- Hmmmm, it says seller ID not found so either he has nothing for sale at the moment, has changed his ID or isn't using the bay now. :-(

Last edited:
or i have spelt it wrong!!! i will look over the next few days as he always has HP scopes for sale, really knows his stuff i might have a old message from him in dads ebay folder i will look

really helpful guy and normally great prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back