Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

long scrolling led display

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacific1985

hi everyone , well i m new member of this forums..doing engineering in ele. & comm.

well i m intersted for making a project on " scrolling led display using microcontroller" my basic idea is to make kind of project that it display the message tht send by pc through rs232 interface. i have searched lot but coudnt find solid results.. so can anybody guide to me..

i want to make sure that i havent gud knowledge of controller coz i m studing it right now and its my 7th semester present subject. so pls guys can anybody give me step by step helps......:confused:

Is that a sorta long, maybe medium long, or a reeeeeally long display?

How about scrolling a single or dual digit led display, and working up from there? There must be dozens of examples on this forum/net on how to drive these things.

I'm interested for making a project on " scrolling led display using microcontroller" my basic idea is to make kind of project that it display the message tht send by pc through rs232 interface. i have searched lot but coudnt find solid results.. so can anybody guide to me..

i want to make sure that i havent gud knowledge of controller coz i m studing it right now and its my 7th semester present subject. so pls guys can anybody give me step by step helps......:confused:
Instead of just diving in and building the whole thing at once, which will be impossible for you if you're just beginning anyway, start building and learning the sub-sections of the project one by one. Save your source code for each part and later put them all together.

First you should learn how to use the PIC's onboard UART (or USART or EUSART - all sort of the same thing) module to communicate with the PC. This is pretty simple, and is usually one of the first few hurdles a new PIC programmer tackles.

If your PIC has no UART then it gets a bit more difficult. Then you have to write some code to "bit-bang" the RS232 comm. Not terribly difficult, but has to be quite precise timing-wise. may help.

Next project is to learn to blink LEDs. Lots of LEDs in matrixes and 7-segment displays and various other arrangements, till you're comfortable with rearranging bits and bytes in whatever way the displays need so they'll display what you want.

You can keep the number of control lines down (there's LOTS of them for displays) by using shift registers or dedicated LED driver chips and/or by multiplexing the display. So learn how to work with shift registers. Get a few display chips (Allegro A6276 are nice) and learn to use them. Learn to do transistor column/row drivers. Tinker with multiplexing. You can keep the complexity of multiplexing circuits down by using johnson counters to handle the column or row multiplexing.

Just start small and work your way up to more complex projects.

Last edited:
EPE did a suitable article, using 16F628's and stackable displays - this allowed you to stack as many side by side as you want, and just plug them together.

Instead of just diving in and building the whole thing at once, which will be impossible for you if you're just beginning anyway, start building and learning the sub-sections of the project one by one. Save your source code for each part and later put them all together.

Somebody put that in the sticky! I started trying to build way to complex also, and suffered a lot. Futz said it, start with the parts, perfect the little parts, then put them together.

EPE did a suitable article, using 16F628's and stackable displays - this allowed you to stack as many side by side as you want, and just plug them together.

I build the display (EPE November 2009). The PC software not work in "Animate Screen" and "Static Screen". The "Graphic Screen" work correctly. Can somebody help me?
Thank you.

dude why work on LED display when you can goto future?

im sorry this comment isnt helpful but i would like to know the actual year ... lol
I would like to see what this looks like any links?

i dont like the fact that you have to program the PIC Slave IDs. Thats kind bad to me. I would make a initiate switch where it would send out serial command that would calc the ids. Like master sends the im the master. Then when the first pic gets it it sets its id to 1 then adds 1 and sends it out. then the slave sends that id and etc..

Each module should then send there id to the master 1 after the other so in the end the master gets the last slave id last and sets it to the number of slaves. Then the master can send a command to either one by there number. It should also send the last slave a command that tells it its last and when its done it should send acknowledgment to the master and tell it to loop over.

Not sure if you understand.

Also the serial data should not travel to all pics in a straight line. It should go into 1 pic then from one pic it sends to slave and etc...

hi everyone , well i m new member of this forums..doing engineering in ele. & comm.

well i m intersted for making a project on " scrolling led display using microcontroller" my basic idea is to make kind of project that it display the message tht send by pc through rs232 interface. i have searched lot but coudnt find solid results.. so can anybody guide to me..

**broken link removed**
http://www.embedds.com/scrolling-text-effect-on-a-led-matrix-display/
http://aboutmicrocontroller.blogspot.com/2008/01/dot-matrix-scrolling-sign-based-on.html

There are some useful links for You.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back