Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

long range sensing

Status
Not open for further replies.
just like that O -------------------X <-- object
i really wanna do it to detect a human passing near that sensor then do an alarm

Well some military have long range IR detection systems that have that kind of range but I'm sure it's not something easy or affordable.

Lefty

The only solution I've found for something like that (and believe me I've looked long and hard) that isn't more than $5K is the

Opti-Logic RS100 Industrial Laser Range Finder w/ RS232 Serial Computer Data Interface Ports w/ FREE UPS

and it's variations. It still costs $500 though. It's also not terribly accurate...1% of 100m is still 1m which makes it useless up close. It can only see large targets due it's field of view (don't expect to be able to light up a point like with a laser pointer and find out how far it is...that takes one of the $5000+ models).

100m is too far for ultrasonic or infrared. Pretty much only laser and radar will do it.

If you want to make a beam breaker though...that's easy. Just use a laser pointer and a sensor opposite of it. But you need something on both sides.

Last edited:
yea thanks ! i were about to show you the thread , i really wanted to hear your opinion ..
well how about this kit
**broken link removed**
can it does the job ?
but i really dont know how long it can sense the vibrations of feet of a human ?

It's cheap enough to experiment with. I would think cars on the road might interfere with it though. But I doubt it works more than a few meters (definately not 100m). There's just too much noise.

Last edited:
just like that O -------------------X <-- object
i really wanna do it to detect a human passing near that sensor then do an alarm

You could try a laser pointer with a remote 2.5cm prism, detect loss of return beam.
That is an interrupted laser pointer beam.

Hi, Im trying to sense if there is an object at 100m ? can infrared do it or ultrasound ??

Consider this:
You have two telescopes of some sort ... maybe spotting scopes .... probably whatever you can afford. Each scope is placed on a line several meters apart, and sighted in on the target .... 100 meters away. When you have sighted and focused each scope on the target, you remove, affix, ... or somehow place ... a phototransistor or some other optically sensitive IC at the focus point of each telescope. .... You might describe this as a 'parallax' method. The final step would be to enable an AND logic gate to alert you when both scopes had sensed the same target at the same time.

The success of this method would depend on whether you could get the target object to create enough of a contrast signal in the phototransistors to switch logic states.....
Some additional improvisation and testing might be necessary... not certain how far apart the two scopes would have to be separated.
You wouldn't want to have a false positive .... if an object nearer than the target was lengthy enough to trigger the alarm.

A Charge Coupled Device type of sensor, as used in cameras or astronomy, might have a better chance of providing a signal indicating that the target is
present. However, a CCD would require a more complicated interface circuit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back